Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

11,000 decoys??

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Ben Perez, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Ben Perez

Ben Perez Elite Refuge Member

I was watching Duck Dog Waterfowl TV on Monday and these guys out of IL (Show Me Your Snows) were running 11,000 full body GHG Snow and Blue Goose decoys...anyone else see this?

That seems a little over the top, don't you think?

2. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Why? If a guy wants to work his butt off and go the extra mile. How many is too many?

3. Ben Perez

Ehh...seems a little too much to me don't you think? I mean 11,000 decoys...

IDK, I have never even killed a Snow goose but from what I have heard/seen, 11,000 seems to be ridiculous. Is it too many...No, I mean they killed 3,500 geese this year over them but it still seems like a few thousand would do fine:scratch

4. SBE II

SBE II Senior Refuge Member

Yes, It's a true story...It's a group of guys. Talked to one of them wanting to purchase 2,000 Dakota's last year to start another spread...

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

5. Ben Perez

SBE, your thoughts on what their spread is like? Do you think it is necessary?

6. SBE II

SBE II Senior Refuge Member

When you're not hunting feeds sure...I've never chased snows on the east coast but from what I hear the central flyway birds act much different.

If you think about it..When you start losing migrators to an adjacent field, what's the reason? Pure size and activity..The sense of security is here..

Setting up for the wind would be most difficult being they hunt out of a pit...It would certainly make me not want to set up within a mile of them..

Regardless...It's epic

7. Ben Perez

Here on the coast of NC, the birds move so much that you have to get lucky and find the right field. At least that's what I'm told:yes

8. hyper23

hyper23 Senior Refuge Member

Rick will have a second spread this size next year. Must be nice!!

9. QuinnNadu

QuinnNadu Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

11,000 x $130 per 6 pack = ~240,000

Obviously they proboly got a huge discount but that is still crazy. I would rather just buy a couple thousand and lease out all the good feeding fields. They must keep those things out all year all the time haha.

10. Cluckme

Cluckme Senior Refuge Member

Met up with the owner a couple weeks ago, while selling him some fbs snows...

wait til you see what they got this year! Sounded like 5600 new hardcores, and a semi trailer full of seconds hardcores too!?!

It also helps to set a spread once and leave it out... hence the near paved road going to the pit