11-87 3.5" Problem

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Khermansen, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Khermansen

Khermansen Senior Refuge Member

I have had this gun for about 2 years and has always been a very reliable gun. I didnt use it much last year and a week ago I went to shoot it and to find that the action spring had broke because of rust, and to make it worse the nut inside the stock is completely rusted on :( . I always kept this gun clean and dry. The gun smith told me to just junk it and find a new gun. Should I listen to him or order new parts from remington, Sure Cycle doesnt make a kit for the Super Magnum. If this would have happend in May it still would have been under warranty :mad:.
    Thank You

2. 43x

43x Elite Refuge Member

Getting a spring and cleaning the inside of the tube is no big deal
    What your real problem is getting that nut off the tube without breaking the tube from the receiver. The tube is silver sodder. I had the same problem they make a tool if your nut has a slot in the head. Remington now offers a nut with a hex head.
    Anyway the tool is offered from Brownell's it's around $30. You can take the tool and put it on a impact and probably get it out without tearing the tube off the receiver. That's why the gunsmith didn't want to do it.
    Another option would be call Rem. they can do it, I don't know if they will or not. Here is the number 1800 243 9700
    Good Luck
    43x

3. Khermansen

Thank You.
    I think I may just buy another gun anyways. I can see this thing turning into more problems down the road. I am thinking about going back to a pump. Maybe the 870 SPS or the Fall Flight.

4. pounder

pounder Elite Refuge Member

Listen to your gunsmith, but don't just toss it away. You can cut the barrel into good decoy weights :l Seriously though, look around and you can get a really good semi for a reasonable price. HINT..... look for something that DOESN'T start with an "R" :dv

5. UltraMag

UltraMag Elite Refuge Member

just keep the nut wet with Kroil for a week or two, and you should be able to
    get it off, replace parts, and keep er lubed with inhibitor, and you shouldn't have any more problems.

6. Khermansen

There is a gun shop that I contacted and they will sell me a Spartan semi for $320. I hunt some times in salt water and for a semi this cheap, I will just paint it (I paint aircraft parts) and it will hopefuly last longer than my 1187. Thanks for the input guys.

7. Bowhunter57

Bowhunter57 Senior Refuge Member

scullingman,
    An excellent choice! :tu Ofcourse, I have one too. :yes

I would take the advice of 43x, pounder and UltraMag and keep the Remington. If for no other reason, it could serve as a field gun, but it's paid for and isn't "eating" anything. So what if you have to put a few bucks into it....at least you're getting a MP-153 and it'll serve you well for all your waterfowling needs :)

As for your thoughts on going to an 870, I'd pass. :nutz I purchased an 870 Super Mag, sent it back to a Remington factory repair center twice and sold it. I shot Remington shotguns well due to their "fit and feel", but the Baikal/Spartan line of shotguns have the same "fit and feel", so I'm "sold" on them instead of Remington. :tu

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

8. Khermansen

If I paint the MP-153 will that void the warranty. I dont care about the resale value. And are the Terror chokes you are talking about the Hastings II. If I for sure am going buy it I am going to order it, it will be next Friday after school.

9. shell waster

shell waster Senior Refuge Member

An excuse to buy a new gun, you're in like flinn. Low end, Mossberg 935, high end Benelli SBE2.

10. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

I don't know about how painting the gun would affect the warranty, it would possibly make the gun more difficult to work on if the areas needing repair were the painted ones. The warranty from EAA is one year, I don't know what Remington's warranty period might be, however.

The Terror choke form which fits the MP 153 is the "Truchoke" not the Hastings II.