11-87 help please

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by feetdownshooter, Feb 13, 2018.

1. feetdownshooter

feetdownshooter Senior Refuge Member

Reposting also on shooting reloading

Okay guys here goes I'm trying my best to do this short and sweet. My father for years has shot a Remington 11-87 3 inch special-purpose in camo. The gun has had a bunch of rounds through it more than I will ever care to count but this weekend the oddest thing happened. After the hunt ended he tried to remove a loaded shell from a chamber and the boat only came back half way and seem to come up against a hard stop it would closed again and open but again only halfway. Being the fool that I am I shot it and it cylced so although funny I just thought it needed a good cleaning. I got home so took it apart clear apart every piece I could and send it back out to the field. Worked fine for several days on Sunday the last day of our goose season it worked fine all day but when you went to unload it the last time before we headed out again a Round up in the chamber and was never fired failed to be unloaded from the action the bolt again would come back half way and seem to come up against a hard stop I have cleaned this gun several times as I've taken over that job for my father I have also cleaned a lot of this style of gun and I cannot for the life of me figure out what is causing this problem I see no wearable signs can anybody help me with this problem?

Any help you can give me with this problem will be greatly appreciated and let's leave out the fact that it's a Remington and any jokes that would come with that aside this is my father's gun he's taught me so much about duck and goose hunting I just want to take care of him a 70 year olds favorite gun can I fix it?

2. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like your bolt handle is wearing out and won't trip the disconnect consistently when pulled back. With the firearm in a safe direction let the half opened bolt handle fly forward under the recoil spring pressure. This might clear the disconnect in the bolt. Shotguns...even pumps have to move forward very slightly to cycle the bolt. in a pump this happens under the inertia of the forearm wanting to remain static as the shotgun recoils.

Emphasis again on safe direction. Not a guarantee this is the issue but that's a start.

3. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

When was the last time you replaced the main spring and follower? This can be do for less than $10 and should be done every other year unless you hunt salt then I would do it every year. Always clean the inside with a bronze brush before you put in the new ones.

Vahunter likes this.
  4. feetdownshooter

feetdownshooter Senior Refuge Member

Thank you guys so much for the help I got a lot of help off the shooting reloading for him as well good things to go off as always I can always turn to The Refuge when I need some help!