1650 Duck boat project

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Jbryan, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

My fiancé and I debated between getting a couple old town kayaks or to rebuild an old boat I bought a few years ago. We decided it would be fun to spend the money rebuilding the boat how we want to. So, we began work a couple of months ago.

The boat is a 70's 1650 Terry Jon boat. We've had pods installed, put an aluminum floor in, bought a go devil long tail, framed the front deck and bench and put all of the sheet aluminum in. We just got all of the paint today and are going to try and get it painted soon. The plan for the blind is build a scissor blind from conduit, Bimini hardware and two layers of cordura lined with flexible insulation.

As we've been doing it we've tried to document as much of the process as possible. I have all of the parts lists, prices, and resources I've used for inspiration or help.

I want to try and compile as much of it as I can here for everyone to enjoy or maybe to help them in the future. I'll continue to update this thread with photos and videos as we move along.

If you have any questions or can offer any advice, just let me know. Thanks!

2. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

**August 25, 2017**

Got the boat back today. Custom pods and aluminum transom from MarshMonster. They are awesome! I put a new starter solenoid on the motor, changed the oil, fuel filter and air filter. Got it up and running!! Took it to Zorinsky for a test run and had it in the water for all of three minutes before it filled up in the back with water... Long story short: Two holes in the bottom from when I first put the aluminum floor in 2 years ago. Oops.

Scott from MarshMonster in Parkersburg, IA is amazing! He did a great job with the pods and the transom. Also, the pricing was really really good. I would recommend going to him over putting on beavertail pods or the like if you are thinking about anything like this for your boat.

a1.jpg a2.jpg a3.jpg a4.jpg

3. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

** August 30, 2017**

2nd miter saw blade of the day that has tried to kill me cutting aluminum. Had to take the miter saw and first blade back for a new one because it broke. Now heading to home depot to take this one back. I feel like I am in final destination.

After the third miter saw blade, it started to work well to cut the aluminum 1 1/4" x 1/8" wall square tubing. Diablo was really stupid about it when I called their customer service. I also got a Diablo circular saw blade for the aluminum sheeting. That worked perfectly. Everything needs to always be clamped and lubed up with wd-40 before you cut it.

b1.jpg b2.jpg

4. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

** August 30, 2017**

The boat was really trying to test my resolve today. Apparently it didn't know me yet. Front deck almost fully framed. Two more supports and then on to the bench. Boat 6, Jason 1. I'm catching up. With all that said, Diablo miter saw blades suck. Had two break on me and the customer service was very accusatory when I called to let them know they have quality control issues.

c.jpg

5. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

**August 31, 2017**

Bench support in. Took a little longer than expected but I am super surprised at how sturdy everything is. This bench/ front deck is going to be a tank. Which is good cause I'm large and in charge and I don't want anything to bend or bow as I mess around on the boat. Up next: top/bottom beams, cross braces, and then on to the seat frame! Whoop whoop. Obligatory selfie since I'm doing these updates on Facebook.

d1.jpg d2.jpg d3.jpg d4.jpg

6. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

** September 6, 2017**

Chapter 1: "Framing" - complete!

I wasn't feeling good this morning so I stayed home. After a lot of caffeine and some ibuprofen I decided I couldn't just laze around all day so I finished up the framing.

Lessons learned: riveting things together is a lot more time intesive than welding. Also, things have to be a lot more precise because there isn't as much tolerance for error when you can't fix it with a couple passes on the welder and grind it down. Thirdly, and probably most frustrating: measuring for a compound miter/bevel cut, then setting up the tool and cutting it is SUPER hard. I still have not perfected it.

With all that said, Diablo miter saw blades suck. Had two break on me and the customer service was very accusatory when I called to let them know they have quality control issues.

Next up: seats, aluminum sheeting/insulation and then painting.

e1.jpg e2.jpg

7. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

** September 13, 2017**

8. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

** September 23, 2017**

Tried to showcase all of the gear we got for the boat... Didn't work out so well.

A new video is coming soon showing all the accessories we bought, where we got them and what we plan on doing with them. The new video will be posted on our YouTube channel.

21762267_153572298567617_5718854561694511496_o.jpg

9. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

Today’s Update

We also just went to Menards and bought 4 cans of self etching primer, 8 cans of different camo colors, 220 grit sandpaper and 400 grit sand paper. We are going to Sherwin Williams tomorrow to get a gallon of marine grade paint matched to the Rig'Em Right Mudslinger backpack (the brown part). I like the look of that canvas brown and Max5 camo.

We have Hydroturf on order from PWCMuscle. I used the discount code "HYDRO15" and got 15% off. Plus, they have a deal on free shipping for anything over $139 aaaaaaannnndddd I got a military discount. SO that worked out well. The sucky thing is that they are in Tampa and the hurricane hit there. So, I've had to wait a little longer than normal to get it while they get themselves back in order.

If you have any questions let me know.

-Jason

10. Huntndogs

Huntndogs Senior Refuge Member

Nice work Jason! And great score on the beautiful helper. She's a keeper!!