1650 Duck boat project

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Jbryan, Oct 1, 2017.

1. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

Thank you so much! Haha! Yeah Lyndsay is amazing, I'm a very lucky man.

Huntndogs likes this.
  2. 1quacker

1quacker Elite Refuge Member

Nice build, on the saw blade why didn't you use a metal cutting blade the one that is just round made fore steel, Aluminum with no teeth? I used a cheap one for my 1" aluminum square blind and it worked great. We use diablo blades on sawzalls for Auto Extrication for the Fire Department and they are excellent, we can cut an entire roof off and more on one blade. Nice build though.

Jbryan likes this.
  3. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

Thank you very much!

The short answer is that the carbide tipped blades cut a million times cleaner than the abrasive blades.

The long answer is: I actually had a couple abrasive cut off wheels before I decided on the Diablo blades (one on my cut off saw and one for my circular saw). Cut off was a Radnor and the other was a Lenox. Both worked fine, but they left a mess that I had to grind off every piece before I fit it.

Shortly after I started this project the motor on my cut off saw went out. So, I took the opportunity to get a Dewalt compound miter saw I had been wanting. When I was doing research on the different blades, I saw a lot of resources talking about high tooth number carbide tipped blades and how clean they cut. When I bought the saw, I bought a blade for my miter saw and one for my circular saw to try them out.

I used the first blade for a full day of work and the difference between using a cut off wheel and the high tooth carbide blades was night and day. The new blades tore through the aluminum like butter and each cut was so clean I didn't need to mess with them. At that point I was hooked, so when the first and second blade broke on me I didn't even consider going back to an abrasive saw blade.

Here is a pic of the Lenox blade I was using on my circular saw:
    22236276_10155817400372990_1830241826_n.jpg

This is the video that convinced me to use the Diablo blade:

4. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

I've used the 7 1/4" non ferrous Diablo blade in my circular saw for at least 2 yrs now with no issues cutting 1/8 5052 sheets.

Liking your project and plan to do a drop deck of the factory front deck on my Crestliner once season ends.

Jbryan likes this.
  5. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

Thank you!

That's awesome! I considered a drop deck, but I wanted to make sure I had a designated spot for the dogs outside of the blind. I can definitely see the appeal though. Good luck on it!

6. 200plus

200plus New Member

I just finished my 1652. Took most all summer but it turned out great. Just in time for duck season. Both of you will enjoy it when it is complete because you done it together. Thanks for posting.

7. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

That's awesome! Do you have any pictures? I wish I would have started earlier in the summer so it would be ready for the season. We really wanted to get the boat paint matched to a bag Lyndsay has, but we're having trouble getting what we need. We also haven't gotten our Hydroturf yet, so I doubt it will be ready for opening day this weekend. Thanks for commenting!!

8. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

Im in the middle of an aluminum project myself that im documenting on here. Ive been using the Masterforce non ferrous blade cutting 1" x 1/8" WL sq tube. I noticed the first stick of cuts was like butter with little to no burrs and very quick and quiet. After that the blade became VERY noisy on each cut. I have not tried to use wd40 for cuts to lube yet as im welding and would need to wipe down anything i add to the material. Is this something that happened to the diablo blade as well? My miter saw does not have the clamp attachment like yours does, so ive always been wary of kickback, wearing a leather gloves, and a full face shield while cutting. So far no issues and im thru about 3 21' sticks so far.

Jbryan likes this.
  9. Jbryan

Jbryan Refuge Member

Very cool! Do you have a link to the thread?

The first blade started doing that to me. I also wasn't using wd-40 at the time. When I looked through the carbide tips on it I noticed I was missing a few and decided to return it. The first one was a Dewalt. After that, I decided to try the Diablo blades. On this final blade, I have made it through close to 100+ cuts and have not had anymore issues. I have been clamping everything on both sides of the cut and lubricating it every time.

What kind of welder are you using?

10. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

My build thread is on the front page here. Ill have to go check my blade now for missing teeth. Im using a cheap *** spool gun i purchased for this build. Normally id tig it or push pull at work but they cut off access for home projects. Could def use a larger amp machine but its working. Starting the blind next finishes up the bench.

Jbryan likes this.