#2 vs #3 vs #4 steel

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by shell waster, May 6, 2019.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

If your shooting directly into the wind patterns can get broken up, with side to side wind patterns will shift. I've purposely gone out on a day we had a good hard steady wind and done some patterning, it was an eye opening experience to say the least. I had to increase the size of the patterning paper to 60 x60 just to see where the pellets were going with 4's and 3's, to me it seemed the patterns were oblong in the direction of the wind. 2's weren't so bad and 1's didn't shift to much at all with the wind.

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

That's a fact with 1's , even with my 1 1/16 oz fast loads there's NOT much wind deflection !
    In most cases on windy days you're shooting birds closer as they seem to take the bait a little better . a 25 mph and up wind is what I like !

Sunklands likes this.
  3. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Good info on the patterns. I always set up for crossing shots if at all possible and I have noticed that birds are not much harder to hit in higher winds. The oblong patterns explain why.

4. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

i like 5s in dec. switch to 3s in Jan. BBs when the wind is kickin. (BBB if it gets over 30mph)

5. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

I’ve always liked 1’s, hits them hard. Never could get 2’s to pattern well until the last decade or so (Nitros do very well). Shot 3’s as a compromise and became my regular load, except when adverse wind as others have noted. Getting ready to load a bunch of 4’s to see how they’ll do on the board. Only skepticism is I tend to be pretty decent on escapees and don’t want to wound them by using a smaller shot. But sounds like 4’s could work.

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Choke them down and go for the head/neck. DRT birds and no cripples if you hit them there. I go by the theory that with small shot it's always better lead a little more or to swing the gun a little faster so your misses are in front of the birds. If you're a little off you will center the bird and not hit it in the behind to sail off. If a guy could find a choke that patterns with 4's and a larger size you could shoot 2 4's followed by a 2. Just a thought for a guy shooting escaping birds.

7. 10GAGENUT

.675 Terror tube patterns everything up to BBB well for me, little tight if they are in your face but I can live with that.

dog duck gun likes this.
  8. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

.675 .......? When you say , a little tight , I assume you mean inside of 40 yds ?
    25 yds and center punching a bird with 4's would require a person with ONE tooth to eat around the pellet holes ? hehee

9. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

Naw, at 25 yrds #4's blow right through them, so do #5's.:yes:yes:yes

10. 10GAGENUT

I usually do get complete pass through especially at such close ranges, bad one was a mallard drake that decided to turn right into me at the last second. Wad never completely opened up and went right through his chest, that was a mess.