20 gauge 2 3/4 in. Duck Load

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by ALLSTAR 1, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Hehe... He DID call me "Bucko" and was all rarin' to get into a 12ga v. 20ga scrap, so THAT's all good and shows some humor I think! I'm only cruising by here cuz I was bored and hoping for something fun to chat on. Unfortunately, while I for many years was a 16ga/28ga upland guy, I started waterfowling and quickly converted to Tuleman's mindset and bought me a 3.5" 12ga Maxus! For which I load and actually spike my steel loads with TSS #8 and #9.5 for geese and ducks to achieve the UBER loads ;)

It's all good, but my wife is sending me out to grab a DRUMSET for kids for Xmas, so now we've got a MUCh more serious bad thing to talk about hey?? Planning on the electric ones with headphones...
    Merry Xmas to all, I'll catch you on another thread for that discussion Tuleman, thanks though!
    Dave

2. HybridMachine

HybridMachine Elite Refuge Member

Kent's Upland Fasteel

3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Yeap and a 10 gauge is bigger than all of them don't you know........:yes

JP likes this.
  4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I only know what you posted, Dave....not what you meant to post. I'm not clairvoyant and neither is anyone else on this forum. You initiated the 20ga vs. 12ga comparison when you said:
    And to your and billybob's point that this thread is only about steel loads, I present your post above which talked about HW13 loads and other posts in this thread referring to bismuth and other high density shot. You can say what you will in an effort to defend your words, but that doesn't make it accurate.

5. Mariner15

Mariner15 New Member

So is HW13 and Hevishot interchangeable when using load recipes?

6. twodog

twodog New Member

Kent's 2 3/4" Upland Steel 5s have worked well for me in the past.

7. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

I am trying to come up with a response to the 12ga crack that doesn't come across too harsh. But that is such a dumb statement it is very hard to do. Obviously there are reasons why she is shooting the 20ga. But to suggest that a 20 is not a viable waterfowl killer is just wrong. I hunt ducks with a 20 about half the time and with the right loads it wads em inside of 35yds. I shoot 3" 3s out of an IC. Obviously you have never hunted ducks with a 20 or your a sky buster.

Billy Bob likes this.
  8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

I haven't killed a duck OR a goose with a 12ga for over 3 years now. All with a 20.

JP, ED Vanderbeck and Rangerbob like this.
  9. baltz526

baltz526 Senior Refuge Member

Actually I do have a 20ga and have used it for Ducks. I found it was marginal beyond 30 yards with #3 steel. Fine for an expert but not really optimal for a youth. What I have seen when youth are shooting sporting clays. The ones with a well fitted 12ga do better than the ones with a well fitted 20ga. 1/4oz of shot makes a difference.

10. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

Probably not as the density of HeviShot can be of dubious quantification while HW13 is pretty much spot on.

BTW, am loading 1 1/8 ounce of TSS (#7's & #5's) in the 20 gauge 2 3/4" Federal hull. The #7's were devasting on SD Ditch Parrots out to ~60 yards.