2017-2018 hunting reports

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Duck Enticer, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Duck Enticer

Duck Enticer Elite Refuge Member

We had a decent opener. Killed about 70 ducks over 2 days with 10 hunters Saturday and 5 on Sunday. Mostly bluewings. 50 teal, 15 mallards, 1 banded mottled duck. A few ring necks and greys mixed in.

We have killed two Mottled Ducks in two years at this lease. They were both banded in Grand Chenier in 2015.

Sunday morning we killed a bunch of teal really quick and then the bottom dropped out. Didn't shoot another bird. Very few big ducks.
    All in all we are blessed.
    20171111_110725.jpg 20171111_110712.jpg 20171112_063005.jpg

Engstfeld and Timberrunner205 like this.
  2. Timberrunner205

Timberrunner205 New Member

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Absolutely.

4. Duck Enticer

We made another hunt yesterday morning. We didn't do much. The flight was barely existent. Very few birds in our marsh. We got the jump on a few though. We did kill another banded drake mottled duck. Banded same time and place as the other two. So that makes 3 banded mottled ducks killed at our lease in the last two years that were hatched in Grand Chenier in 2015.

5. Duck Enticer

Last weekend was really bad for us. Shot about 6 ducks the whole weekend. Prime freshwater marsh around Holmwood. My buddy moved up to Missouri and has been telling me of the draw hunts. He says they are about a guarantee for limits of Greenheads and whatever else floats your boat. For him it was a drake wigeon and drake pintail. He said the hunters are way different than the louisiana guys. They blow the duck calls continuously to the point of flaring ducks and barely hide.....And it doesn't matter. Last Saturday they didn't even get drawn and hunted an open area. Killed a 3 man limit of drake only greys, pintails and green wings. Where in Louisiana can you do this? I think I'm gonna try to visit next November.

6. borntohunt

borntohunt Senior Refuge Member

DU has been building impoundments in Missouri. Add that to the increased grain production and now you know why they s are no ducks coming to Louisiana. I understand that 90% of the DU money collected in Louisiana goes to Missouri to increase habitat for migrating waterfowl.

7. DU4life

DU4life Senior Refuge Member

U musta never hunted with public land hunters from Louisiana

8. Hiram Evans

Hiram Evans Senior Refuge Member

Does anyone really know how many pond heaters DU sent to Missouri over the past few years? To go along with the grain dump trucks.

9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Only 12 trucks and 37 heaters. They don't do nearly as much as folks give them credit for.

10. Hiram Evans

Hiram Evans Senior Refuge Member

That's a lot. They only have 15 or 20 places to hunt up there.