Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

2017-2018 Plantation Bottoms' ......

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Mar 3, 2017.

1. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Morning Gents -
    I know this don't sound right to anyone, especially me, but right around the 1st week of March, I took on a job, sorta - kinda... It was only supposed to be a couple weeks tops, but now its supposed to be on through May. A company out of Il or In called me and wanted to know if I had a boat. Yes sir! We got several. Little ones that leak a little, bigger ones that leak a little more, and one or 2 that aint got no leaks. What would you like? Well, seems they wanted to use the ones that don't leak. 1/2 the time we use the pontoon and the other time we're riding around in the plate boat. They are conducting water samples on Old Hickory and needed someone to carry them around. We came to a dang good price on a 4 hr min., plus just a good a price on an hourly cost after that. Some weeks, its two days a week and like last week, it was 4 days with Friday being 6 hrs. Its been 1 or 2 hrs a trip and everything in between. All Im doing is going here and there and keeping gas in the tank(which aint much), a ziplock full of crackers and peanut butter, & water in the cooler. I really aint used to this work stuff(and I don't mean Stuff'..) and being at someplace at a certain time, but all Im doing is riding around on the lake so's it aint all that bad either. But, it sure is beginning to get into me & Stuff's crappie fishin time. Mainly, cause I'm tired of running around on the lake.

But, on the other hand, the Missus' is enjoying the check that rolls in. This real working thing is getting tiring for sure. I really don't know how folks do it all the time! Kinda wears on a fella & HGO'er....

Me & Maggs.....

2. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

Sweet gig. When you done fleecin em give em my name an send em oer here . Plenty o water for em to test.

3. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Afternoon all -
    Just got my notice - Thursday morning! Could be an all-day'er so be prepared Im told. Sounds like another good check in the making maybe.
    And, its gov't money & they gots plenty Im told. They says, you be interested in being "on call" for future endeavors?? I says, depending on where and how much travelin' monies I get..

Me & Maggs'...........

4. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Troll crankbaits on the way to and fro.

stevena198301 likes this.
  5. MARSH_HUNTR

MARSH_HUNTR Elite Refuge Member

Glad to see and hear you fellas are doing good, I always enjoy checking in on Plantation Bottoms

6. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning Gents -
    I bit the bullet and did it. My Missus' has really been on my case about changing things on our "Red Neck pontoon has she had began to call it.
    Something about the threads coming loose on the seats(as it was an 06' model), carpet collecting dog hair as in a bunch!) and the cover held together with multi-colored strips of duct tape and crooked hand stitches with 30# fishing line. After pricing things out, we figured buying a new one was the way to go. She called our old one our "Practice Pontoon". I looked around and decided on a G3 Suncatcher by Yamaha. We got another 20'. I wanted a Yamaha so that kinda limited the dealers to choose from. Anderson was out of the question because of their attitude. We settled with Nashville Marine and they are just a couple miles up the road on the way to the Bottoms'.. We had it our yesterday afternoon for the 1st time. The Missus' & Maggs were very happy which worked for me.
    [​IMG]

We watched Maggs sit down and scratch a moment and a big tuff of shedding hair came rolling by and went right out the back! My wife starts laughing and says that's what Im talking about! Self cleaning! A nice boat and everything works. Its even got a live well on one side and an insulated cooler on the other. Perfect. No more stacking coolers on the deck. The Missus' has made me promise to THOW AWAY things I haven't used in a year that I have been saving under the seats in case the zombies attack or some reason. I reckon I ought to do that anyway!

Me, Maggs, & Stuff'........

stevena198301 likes this.
  7. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Is that the plastic flooring? That is what my FIL has in his. I was worried about how hot it would get in the sun, but it wasn't terrible. Congrats on your new poontoon Mr. Rex!

8. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Time to slime it with a big ol yellow cat. Nice ride.

When is the rummage sale for stuff (not Stuff?) not used within a year? I may need some time to gather up somonies.

9. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Thanks guys.... The flooring is some kind of vinyl w/ a little texture and weave to it(that's what the Missus' said anyways,.....)
    The problem is, the storage area is different under the seats, as in a little shorter and not as wide. The plastic containers that I did use wont fix and now new ones are needed. She pulled out 3 black lights that haven't been used in 15 yrs at least. Why are these even still around anymore??
    I hate it when they start that. They seem to make sense whislt' they are saying that crap. All of the sudden, they won, you're out of what ever you were trying to keep and you got no idea of what just happened...

Im sticking things in the back of the "war room" for sorting later & out of sight. I really don't like to re-arrange things from an old boat you got customed to, to the new one where nothing fits. That's why my blind bag has duct tape w/ broke zippers... My stuff(not Stuff') fits perfect in the old one.

we did go over during lunch and fished a little around the dock off the boat just to get the cherry.. A little warmouth or Rock-bass helped a brotha out. now I can get down to some serious crappie snatching. I don't know bout' no big ole yeller cat rolling around on the deck... Dang, I can just see that nasty slime..

Me, Maggs, & Stuff'...

10. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning All -
    Im hoping everyone is busy with honey-do's for the Missus' trying to get "kitchen-passes" from their Missus' right now. Flowers, trees, shrubs, planted and grass cut. Mother's Day coming up and things need to be spruced up.

Besides doing TVA stuff(not Stuff'...) & collecting Govt' monies, I been tryin to log in some "break in" hours in between the rain storms on the new boat. Right now, the main focus is getting Maggie Mae some kind of ramp to get back in the boat after chasing a bumper. At 100 pounds, I cant lift her up from the water. My old ramp that I had on the other boat wont work on this one because of the angle & shape of the ladder. I had an old Avery ramp from 20 yrs ago that had potential to work. After cutting, spacing, and twisting, I finally came up with something that might work. Its still a work in progress, but this past Tuesday, Maggs finally got to jump off the boat, get her bumper, and make it back on board without much effort on my part.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the angle is a little too steep, and its about 2" too deep in the water. But, it did work!
    I was talking to a buddy this morning and he was telling me about his new Fab. dept. at his shop and I asked if he could weld up aluminum.
    Heck yea I can, Why?? I told him what I was doing and he says, bring that dang thing to me, we cant Maggs using a piece of crap like that, as it could give her a complex she don't need... Looks like Maggs is fixin' to get something custom made to get back on the boat with.
    Its always something.. Still aint been Crappie fishin. I did watch the TVA folks yesterday doing some fish shocking where the water comes out of the bottoms into the lake. They finally got that pinpointed with the water samples they had been taking. The fellas said they were taking tissue samples from the fish they were catching. Crappie, bream, & Bass were rolling up. No monsters but did see something big and shiny about 3' long go by the boat on its side. Looked like a big striper to me. They are testing for toxins from coal ash. Just being safe they said. Anyway, it was kinda scary sounding but they said not to worry. O.K., Still...

Anyway, maybe tomorrow..

Me, Maggs, & Stuff'..........