2017-2018 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 14, 2017.

1. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

Thankful my boss is an old waterfowler, he pretty much knows and tells me when I should be gone

2. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

I was going to take the sick day up until I remember I had an appointment to take my vehicle in for a hail estimate at 830. My buddy said they needed an extra gun as they only had 3. They were set up for a south wind and it was dead calm and right as the birds came off the roost he could feel a slight breeze out of the north. First flock was a 1000 snows right in the decoys but they had to get up and turn around to even shoot on that first flock. Could have been uglier had they been turned the right way. Got one more flock in and then some big flocks of lessers. They all went to another field and may try again this evening.

3. nebgoosehunter

They had another decent shoot last night getting into some more tar bellies. Most birds went back to the old field however. The days total for 4 guns was 20 lessers, 12 light geese, 9 specks, and 3 ducks.
    [​IMG]

ajj16, habitatman and BirdJ like this.
  4. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

How about a closer look at that duck on the top of the pile. Just a young mallard or is there something else in him?

5. nebgoosehunter

Not sure that is the only pic he sent me. But now that you say something she does have an odd amount of green on top of her head.

6. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

7. nebgoosehunter

It is my oldest kids 4th birthday today and he wanted me to take him hunting so I relished the opportunity to go just me and him. It was a special time and he had a blast, just sheer excitement when I shot my birds. He got a little bummed when I missed my first two birds as my gun didn't cycle both times and he said "I don't think were going to shoot any birds today" lol. This was the first goldeneye I have shot in quite some time too and he thought that was pretty neat to see a different looking bird.
    [​IMG]

BirdJ, Lexuss, Mac5pack and 8 others like this.
  8. Extrema1

Extrema1 Refuge Member

Small bunches of snows on the move this morning. Hope someone has their white stuff set up.

9. benadams

benadams Refuge Member

Some geese high and heading south this morning. Dark and some whites. The few ducks we saw wouldn’t even look at the spread

10. ajj16

ajj16 Refuge Member

Had a good shoot Friday, set up early and could hear snows roosted on the lake close by, shooting time came around we went to see where they were. Found them 150 yards away around the corner, ha, so we jumped them and got 15. Sat the rest of the day, saw some decent migration, ducks trickling in, ended with a total count of 36. Mallards, bluebills, GWT, nice redhead drake, gadwall, ringneck, and a few canadas.
    Not as much migration Saturday, a few mallards and gadwall. Did shoot 2 specks, one nice one and one juvy.

Attached Files: