2017-2018 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 14, 2017.

1. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Just flurries up here in the central part in SD. today but was over around 1:00pm. with clear skies and sun but still good amount of wind still now. Will be interesting what comes down the next couple of days from our neighbors too the north of us?? Don't know how it went over east with the weather.

2. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

I was anticipating a good morning and it didn't disappoint. Walked into my pond and kicked out around 2k mallards. Huge wads were landing on us as we were setting up. Shooting light came and there wasn't a breathe of wind. The ducks didn't know what way they wanted to come into the decoys and thus would hang up at 60 yards and keep circling. Picked on some singles for awhile until the wind started coming up about an hour and a half into the hunt. Almost instantly they started working better and it didn't take long to finish our limit of greenheads. Screwed up trying to get our bonus birds a couple different times so only came home with one greenwing but he was a beauty. Best part of the morning was watching some of those flocks of 50-100 land 5 yards from me before shooting light. That probably happened maybe 4 or 5 different flocks.
    [​IMG]

benadams, Mac5pack, Truman and 5 others like this.
  3. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

I can tell you this, NC Nebraska had a big increase in Canada Geese !

4. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

Looks like the "great" last push of mallards happend this afternoon. Hope you didnt blink.

Until wannahoo gets opened to general public hunting this is what we have to look forward to. Need to force those early staging birds back to the river valley so they will "decoy" the normal river valley trickles. Leba getting hunted hard 3yrs ago created this mess, and the imprinting is ruined.

Guess theres always gay-eese.

5. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

Really, I literally just got a text from northern SD that the mallards and geese just starting pouring in Late this afternoon until after sunset while they were picking up.

6. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

So I had a father/son out to hunt yesterday and the morning was incredibly slow, i think we had 2 mallards by noon. We got to talking and the dad said his dream was to shoot a pintail. I told him that ship sailed about 5 weeks ago, and even then we would never shoot one with a sprig. Fast forward 2 hours and here come 4 bulls, 2 with sprigs. Unreal. The afternoon heated up with some geese and some mallards that were the size of cacklers.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• pin.jpg
      pin.jpg
      File size:
      50.1 KB
      Views:
  7. Jon-Barta

Jon-Barta Senior Refuge Member

It is amazing how as little as a mile will make you think there is not a bird in the entire county. Not the time to be a set spread hunter, I will tell you that. I have never seen so few birds for this time of year. Goose hunting should be stupid right now. Well, it is.

8. Extrema1

Extrema1 Refuge Member

Jon, Last year and this year are starting to make me think the migration (especially ducks) has shifted toward the Missouri river. I just haven't seen any duck migration. That, or they are just passing through on the full moons. I hope Bullet's intel is right and we get some Cold and Snow up North soon.

9. jkern

On top of being bad hatch conditions acrossed the ppr. It got cold too fast "up north", duck migration was way advanced from the normal before zone 3 opened. Zone 3 is setup for wintering ducks, works out great for areas that winter ducks and areas without a stupid amount of refuge areas.

My hood this year, the local honkers were in the right places to attract migrants when they started so we built up FAST and still building. Last year it was several weeks worth of blow through before they started to stage.

10. jkern

I will still stick by my goldeye and common merganser arrival thoughts and not put 2 cents towards the always empty promises of "all those ducks up north".