2017-2018 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 14, 2017.

1. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

We can’t shoot ducks any more, wish we could but still getting it done on the geese. Had a buddy from Iowa over yesterday and today, he left over an hour ago a happy hunter.

2. ajj16

ajj16 Refuge Member

We were able to have some more success on the geese this weekend than the ducks...Tried for ducks on Friday, we were 3/4 mile off the feed they wanted to be in but were able to scratch 4 out of the one tornado we had (1 drake pin and 3 greenheads), did have about 10k ducks fly over. Set up for geese Saturday and Sunday, they cooperated a little better. 40+ degrees on Sunday made the field a little sloppy at pickup time, but not too bad. Lost quite a bit of snow cover as we were hunting. 4 man for Saturday and 5 man for Sunday.
    upload_2018-1-8_8-39-5.png upload_2018-1-8_8-39-25.png

nebgoosehunter, brentbullets and GK1 like this.
  3. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

Good job, geese are really easy right now. We have been beating the heck out of them also.

ajj16 likes this.
  4. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Forgot to add this on Saturday but I saw several flocks of lessers mid day northbound over town and then another that night while taking the trash out, and just saw another northbound flock right now. Seems were getting some reverse migration even with the snow cover. Wonder if they are the same small geese we had for 6 weeks that took off once it finally got cold and now they are coming back up with this warmer weather? 54 today and 58 tomorrow.

Neck Collar likes this.
  5. Neck Collar

Neck Collar Senior Refuge Member

I'm watching the live stream from the Rowe Crane Sanctuary near Gibbon, NE right now & I can hear little cacklers flying over!

Jon-Barta likes this.
  6. ajj16

ajj16 Refuge Member

7. Greenhedges

Greenhedges Elite Refuge Member

The ice is prolly 10 inches thick on Squaw Creek...I'm sure the 60 are long gone...not that it matters season is closed now too...Witnessed a mass migration 2 weeks ago or so; mallards non stop for hours and I'm pretty sure they weren't stopping in Missouri...

8. nebgoosehunter

Wow, we must have got a way bigger reverse push than I thought earlier this week. I was out of the office for work this morning and saw 5 different groups of snow geese feeding and my buddy texted me a picture of a huge group that he saw also this morning. 15 degrees and wind chill of 0 and they didn't seem to care. Impressive amount of lessers also returned it seems. Wouldn't mind some snow to push these buggers back south, especially since you can't even shoot them for the fall season right now.

Neck Collar likes this.
  9. nebgoosehunter

My 4 year old boy has been wanting to get out and hunt and it was finally warm enough to take him this afternoon. We just targeted some local geese and found ourselves having to hide along the property line with the wind in our face. Needless to say they didn't work very well but we scratched a couple geese and he was thrilled! I am taking him and his younger brother who is 2 duck hunting tomorrow afternoon. That may be more of an excursion but it will be fun for them. Also saw a pile of lessers all afternoon heading north.

Neck Collar likes this.
  10. nebgoosehunter

I braved taking a 4 and 2 year old duck hunting by myself this afternoon and the boys did great. The younger one's hands got a little cold, but nothing some hand "warmies" as they call them can't fix. It would have been a fun afternoon even if we hadn't shot anything but shooting a limit of greenheads with the boys was just icing on top! There are piles and piles of both ducks and geese in the area. I don't think the high of 13 tomorrow is going to phase them much though as it is supposed to be 55 on Wednesday. Oh, several bunches of snow geese going over town in the dark when I got home tonight also. I seriously don't even understand these birds. I see snow in the forecast Friday and Saturday. I hope it dumps enough to push those goofy birds south and not enough to push what we have for darks and ducks out.
    [​IMG]