2017-2018 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 14, 2017.

1. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

The last 2 days I watched as thousands of SOB's and Canadas moved north. This morning at first light I saw the same thing only from North to South. Weather in South Dakota has triggered a reverse Migration. If I still hunted Snows I for sure would be out there.

Neck Collar and ajj16 like this.
  2. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Here is my long report from Saturday after my annual birthday hunt with my dad. I scouted a new area I've never hunted before Friday evening after bird numbers have been pretty poor in my normal area the last couple weeks. I probably saw a 100k birds right around sunset but didn't have time to get over to the main wad. I found a small feed of several thousand but didn't have a plat map for that county so I had to wait until I got home to look it up. I called several different farmers in that area since they were on a absentee landowner field and none of them knew who farmed it. Finally I got a hold of a farmer who had quite a few fields in that same area as the feed and he gave me permission. Problem was I've never seen or been to his fields. So basically I picked three fields right next to each other and we would see what type of crop they were in the morning. Got left later than I wanted and by the time we found a field we only had time to put out about 200 decoys. We were set up in a wheat stubble field with a wetland down in the bottom of it, and when we pulled in there were two blues on the water and many snow goose feathers scattered around, so I figured we picked a decent spot. Our other problem then became we were still off the flight line as the birds from Friday evening still traveled that same corridor Saturday morning. We had a batch of 5 adults come in perfect but only scratched out 3 after my dad said he couldn't get his safety off lol. Had another 4 pack come in and this time it was my turn to screw up as my bolt got caught on my blind door as I was sitting up. My dad only got 1 and I had to send a hail mary out as they were bugging off and I hit a sailer but never could find him as I went and drove around. Shot another single and then as we were picking up had a juvie come in and decoy perfect with the truck in the decoys and maybe 50 decoys left out is all. He had his landing gear out and was right above my head and I missed him pretty bad and he sailed off and I couldn't find him either. My old man gave me a pretty good ribbing after that one. So all in all it was a fun hunt still for not ever hunting this area, and being out of the flight line. It's also nice just spending the day hunting with my dad.
    [​IMG]

3. nebgoosehunter

I buzzed out for a quick hunt before work with my dad again. Only hunted for about an hour and a half so we only set maybe 400 decoys. Shot a decoying pair of adults right at shooting light on the dot. Had to wait quite awhile until the roost east of us got up. Proceeded to shoot pretty terrible on a few flocks only taking one bird a piece out of them. Didn't see a small group of 6 come right over 20-25 yards until they were past us or we could have got into those pretty well. Finished with 5 and had to hit the road. Saw less than 2k. Fun, quick little hunt!

ajj16 likes this.
  4. nebgoosehunter

I took my two young boys out Saturday morning along with 3 other buddies. The fog was just starting to set in just as shooting light was rolling around and there was a big roost to our east a half mile so things were looking good. Well the fog kept getting thicker and thicker until and it must have been dense enough that we didn't even hear the geese leave the roost. Had a few flocks come by and appear out of the fog but for some reason they didn't even work, which was surprising. Scratched a few out because they were low however. Every time we would hear birds we would turn up the caller real loud and wait and wait and nothing would come by. Would turn it down and no birds anywhere, so I was a little surprised they weren't coming to the sound in the fog. At one time it was so thick we had a single right above us low circling forever and we just could never see him. The ceiling had to have been under 80 yards. The fog started breaking up around 11 finally and it was a flurry of birds everywhere but it was dead calm and they had no interest in us. The fog helped early I think as it kept them low and we could still kinda see once they got close but later it just hurt us is all and lasted too long. We finished with 6 geese but most importantly the boys had a wonderful time.

Neck Collar, ajj16 and brentbullets like this.
  5. nebgoosehunter

I knew things have really been winding down here and I needed to get my decoys out of the blind on my pasture pond so I headed up this morning early hoping some stragglers might be left. Normally I wouldn't jump the roost, but beings it is the tail end of the season and it sounded like just a few in the dark I went after them. There were maybe only 100-150 in the flock but plenty to shoot at as close as they were. Got 19 with 9 of them being rossies and only 3 out of the 10 snows being juvies. Those were the only snows I saw this morning. I'm calling it quits unless and I happen across a magical juvie feed somewhere. It was a fun year with good quality hunts instead of quantity hunts. My harvest numbers would have been down on average until this morning. Looking forward to turkeys now!

ajj16 and Neck Collar like this.
  6. Keith S.

Keith S. Senior Refuge Member

A couple buddies called it a year and time for turkeys. The area they have been hunting (Norfolk area) has been very tough for them the last several years. Know of a few local guys still putting the hurt on them and will continue till the season closes. A few years ago I had joined a club up on the Tekamah bottoms, that first week of April was amazing.

7. nebgoosehunter

Came across a real nice roost (for this late in Nebraska) Saturday afternoon of several thousand. Don't know if I'll have time to scout them so I told a buddy about them and he might find where they are feeding. Maybe I'll get lucky and get one more hunt in.

ajj16 likes this.
  8. nebgoosehunter

Any hardy souls out there still trying? I would think you might be able to find some in NE Nebraska after a little bit of a reverse today. Probably quite a few scattered small roosts throughout the state. I was out of town Friday-Monday or I probably would have tried to find some.

9. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

I saw a few thousand headed south this am by Oakland.

10. nebgoosehunter

I went up yesterday evening to pull my trail camera off the pasture pond I hunt and to scout for a turkey to possibly hunt this morning. I talked to the landowner yesterday and he said he actually saw quite a few snows the day before so I decided to throw the gun in. Didn't see any snows until I was getting ready to leave and saw 2 ross and a snow with about 15 little canadas feeding. Sat and watched them for awhile and the three whites decided they didn't like that anymore and got up and flew right back to the pond I was just at. I watched in the binos exactly where they landed and thought this was great to get a chance to shoot a few more. I snuck right into where these birds landed and they just vanished. Looked all over the place and they were just plain gone. I was pretty bummed because I had my youngest boy with me and he would have thought it was pretty neat had I shot any. It was still fun to get out and see all the different fowl this time of year with my boy.