2017-2018 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 14, 2017.

1. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

I saw a flock of about 70 yesterday morning while turkey hunting. I also saw a real nice roost of several thousand on Sunday afternoon, but of course we can't hunt them until the 15th anymore, grrr....The turkey hunting didn't go as well. It was the first time my dad and I have tried archery hunting them. Got on two different flocks but and they were plenty receptive to my calling but unwilling to come in. I might try to go Sunday afternoon if we don't get as much snow as predicted.

2. ajj16

ajj16 Refuge Member

Tried turkey hunting yesterday morning in the wind and the mist...wasn’t really working out. A buddy text me he found a feed of snows (about 150ish) so we went cow boarding...jumped the same group of juvies and Ross’ 2x, managed 63...not bad for a slow turkey day and 2 days left in the season. :dv

E379706B-4131-4801-9284-D01566E7A2E7.jpeg

nebgoosehunter likes this.
  3. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Nice job! I'm going to email Vrtiska and some commisioners again like I did a few years ago and see if we can get our season extended again. More often than not there are snows to be shot into April in my neck of the woods. Anyway, I got out yesterday afternoon looking for a turkey to shoot. County roads were a mess but I made it along ok. Popped over a hill and saw a big group feeding in a wheat field about 100 yards off a shelter belt. I quickly backed up and parked on one end of the belt and high tailed it to the other end of the belt to set up hoping they would feed towards me. Sure enough they did and once they got within 150 yards they really started responding well to my calling. There were 18 birds in the group and it looked like only 1 tom and the rest jakes and hens. The whole time they were coming I could see the tom was in the back but once they got within 100 yards they went behind a little rise but they would still see my decoys. The tom must have not liked my jake with two hens because he was the first bird to show up and he was in full strut. Let him have it, and then the jakes came and beat him up as he flopped around. I've seen that on shows many times but that was the first time it's happened to me. Pretty funny to watch. He wasn't very big with only a 6" beard, but he was still beautiful and wasn't getting a pass.
    [​IMG]

ajj16, Sorny, jcneng and 1 other person like this.
  4. Fozzbear

Fozzbear Senior Refuge Member

Nice job Tyler. I'm not going to make it out there this spring and its killing me! Good luck the rest of the season! I'll definitely be out there next year. Those merriams by far are the most fun to hunt in my book and the country they inhabit is awesome.

nebgoosehunter likes this.