2017-2018 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 14, 2017.

1. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

I saw a flock of about 70 yesterday morning while turkey hunting. I also saw a real nice roost of several thousand on Sunday afternoon, but of course we can't hunt them until the 15th anymore, grrr....The turkey hunting didn't go as well. It was the first time my dad and I have tried archery hunting them. Got on two different flocks but and they were plenty receptive to my calling but unwilling to come in. I might try to go Sunday afternoon if we don't get as much snow as predicted.

2. ajj16

ajj16 Refuge Member

Tried turkey hunting yesterday morning in the wind and the mist...wasn’t really working out. A buddy text me he found a feed of snows (about 150ish) so we went cow boarding...jumped the same group of juvies and Ross’ 2x, managed 63...not bad for a slow turkey day and 2 days left in the season. :dv

E379706B-4131-4801-9284-D01566E7A2E7.jpeg

nebgoosehunter likes this.
  3. nebgoosehunter

Nice job! I'm going to email Vrtiska and some commisioners again like I did a few years ago and see if we can get our season extended again. More often than not there are snows to be shot into April in my neck of the woods. Anyway, I got out yesterday afternoon looking for a turkey to shoot. County roads were a mess but I made it along ok. Popped over a hill and saw a big group feeding in a wheat field about 100 yards off a shelter belt. I quickly backed up and parked on one end of the belt and high tailed it to the other end of the belt to set up hoping they would feed towards me. Sure enough they did and once they got within 150 yards they really started responding well to my calling. There were 18 birds in the group and it looked like only 1 tom and the rest jakes and hens. The whole time they were coming I could see the tom was in the back but once they got within 100 yards they went behind a little rise but they would still see my decoys. The tom must have not liked my jake with two hens because he was the first bird to show up and he was in full strut. Let him have it, and then the jakes came and beat him up as he flopped around. I've seen that on shows many times but that was the first time it's happened to me. Pretty funny to watch. He wasn't very big with only a 6" beard, but he was still beautiful and wasn't getting a pass.
    [​IMG]

IrvingForbes, ajj16, Sorny and 2 others like this.
  4. Fozzbear

Fozzbear Senior Refuge Member

Nice job Tyler. I'm not going to make it out there this spring and its killing me! Good luck the rest of the season! I'll definitely be out there next year. Those merriams by far are the most fun to hunt in my book and the country they inhabit is awesome.

5. nebgoosehunter

I saw a group of 2-3k snows feeding in western Nebraska yesterday evening. Season has been closed since the 5th or you bet I would have been setting up in that field for a group like that.

6. marshmadness402

marshmadness402 Refuge Member

There's been some moving through eastern nebraska too this week. Kinda depressing

7. ajj16

ajj16 Refuge Member

01CDC21B-1726-4218-83D3-DC6416FEFF18.jpeg
    Was able to get a Tom riled up and ready to fight on Saturday morning. Saw him following 3 hens from the road down a hill in a alfalfa field into some trees. Was able to get in front of them and pop out behind a cedar behind the old thunder chicken deke. Crawled about 10-15 yds out from the field edge and he started to hustle down to me. Got him to 5 yards and let him have it. Wished I woulda had a camera for that one.

8. nebgoosehunter

Nice job! I've hit up 4 new turkey properties since my last post and can't close the deal. Had a real nice tom at 15 yards in some thick russian olive trees Saturday morning but couldn't see him the entire time coming in. He would respond almost every time to me and it took him almost 20 minutes to come in, but right as I saw him for a split second he turned back and went into the dense trees. Was pretty bummed because I was trying to get my dad a bird for this year. I'm heading up to the Niobrara River valley tomorrow to get a bird...or two lol.

ajj16 likes this.
  9. ajj16

ajj16 Refuge Member

Shouldn't have too much trouble near the Niobrara...can't swing a dead cat without hitting 26 turkeys around there...lol

10. nebgoosehunter

Hunted in the Niobrara valley up in Cherry County Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning. Long story short, we walked a long ways, saw fair numbers of birds, and I came home empty handed. Had one chance at a giant bird that I ended up putting a sneak on but could not tell how far he was because I could only see the top of his head in the tall grass and he was sitting right on the edge of the river. I was a little worried he was too far or he would fall into the river. They flew across without me shooting and my buddy came up and ranged where they were standing and they were 35 yards. Other than that I thought they were kinda grouped up still. The group we set up on off the roost had 23 birds and saw other groups that had around a 8-12 birds. Guess I'll have to keep hunting. :)

IrvingForbes and ajj16 like this.