2017-2018 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 14, 2017.

1. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

It was a pretty slow morning but we managed eight birds. Mostly green wings flying this morning. Lots of birds on the water as we walked in but they disappeared and never returned. My dad was the lucky one this morning after we just got done talking about how we don't hear of many teal bands. A band always makes a slow morning fantastic!
    [​IMG]

GK1, benadams, ajj16 and 2 others like this.
  2. nebgoosehunter

Sorry for the huge picture lol.

3. egadwall

egadwall Elite Refuge Member

Scouted the place I intended to hunt yesterday afternoon and found that the water had receded to the point that it was unhuntable. A shame, because the 5" of water and extensive mud flats were really attractive to bluewings ...

So, didn't hunt today, but scouted so that I could get a better chance to introduce a new hunter to the sport tomorrow. Drove a couple hundred miles (I've newly returned to NE after 30 years away and to a different area completely) and finally found a place that is ideal. Saw teal ... found a place we can walk into without his wader-less feet getting soaked ... and it looks to be a place that hasn't been hunted hard, if at all.

During the regular season, I will probably be hunting mostly on Fridays and Saturdays, and Saturdays are the only option for my son-in-law, my partner for tomorrow. In my scouting today, I also found quite a few places where I can walk in on Fridays by myself. Found some fantastic areas for a canoe or duck punt, but I don't have either anymore. Ah, well.

If there's somebody living in the Lincoln-Seward area who would be free on Fridays during the regular season, I'd be willing to join him/her in giving it a try. New hunter or experienced, doesn't matter. Just somebody who gets along with me in the close confines of the duck blind. I've got 50 years of hunting experience behind me, and am still learning. Could hunt Saturdays, too, with son-in-law and me.

Just a word of caution though ... I've hunted with a lot of people "once." If every duck down on the water every time is yours, I'll probably find an excuse to go alone the next time. If you're into competing for the most ducks, the furthest shot, the best ... anything ... same result. If you disregard laws, or ethics for that matter, same result. If you're under 15, I'll forgive one time that your shotgun barrel comes close to pointing at me, but if you're older than that, I'll pack up immediately and head home.

And I don't hunt with spinners or anything with batteries.

Woodpile likes this.
  4. egadwall

egadwall Elite Refuge Member

Saw mostly greenwings this morning, although had a flock of wigeon and a few mallards around. Bad set-up due to bad scouting yesterday, so didn't get much shooting. Still a great morning for bird watching!

That's why it's called hunting, not grocery shopping, right?

5. habitatman

habitatman Senior Refuge Member

I have tried for many years to get a pumping stamp for waterfowlers that use WMA's WPA's. This money can only be used for pumping the basins More water and more places to hunt. We got $25,000 a year to pump in the 1970's that was good back then from the habitat stamp money. Today it will take $100,000 to do the same thing and we still only get about $25,000 year. We need a better deal than we are getting.

Keith S. likes this.
  6. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Is there enough waterfowlers using the basins to get the needed money if it takes $100,000- the $25,000 allotted?

7. habitatman

Negooseman No but it should be that money from the Habitat & Ne Duck stamp. The $25,000 was what we got from a $5 Habitat stamp. It is just that there is so much more the NGPC & FWS can do. Any help we can get else where would be great.

8. huntineveryday

huntineveryday Refuge Member

This weekend was quite a bit slower than last. Took home two blue wing teal yesterday, the only two I shot at. This morning I shot one green wing and three blue wing pretty quickly, but again, that's all that I saw. There didn't seem to be as many newer birds as I was expecting. There were a lot fewer hunters out as well.

Water is dropping pretty quickly at the spots we've been hunting

9. nebgoosehunter

That greenwing was banded 8/12/17 and was hatched this year. Banded near Fairview, Alberta, clear north in what looks like an agriculture patch in the middle of the Boreal Forest. 1200 miles as the crow flies from where it was shot. Pretty neat to get one from an interesting area!

benadams, GK1, habitatman and 2 others like this.
  10. habitatman

With this heat and wind most of the basins that have fair water will be dry by duck season. Put on your boxing gloves if you want a spot hunt in the basins.