2017 hunts

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by marsh man dan, Sep 1, 2017.

1. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

2. hyper23

hyper23 Senior Refuge Member

Talked to a buddy tonight, said there was at least 7 groups hunting an area on pool 10 Saturday. Unbelievable!!!

3. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

I would've been pissed if I showed up knowing what I was about to do:dv

4. pointblind

pointblind Elite Refuge Member

Brought Tucker goose hunting this morning. Traded 4 goose retrieves for some elk steaks. Good trade. Good boy.

20171011_071550.jpg

5. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

IMG_0475.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG

A pair of Wood Ducks landed in the decoys. When they stopped swimming, I gave the drake the right barrel.

Next a pair of geese committed and at 15 yards the right barrel just went click but I got on the first goose again and gave it the left barrel. I guess the firing pin didn't hit the primer hard enough.

Then a dozen mallards circled five times then hovered over the decoys. I could not discern a drake, so I shot once.

Could have shot a few hen wood ducks and some more mallards but I wasn't sure if they were green heads.

If I had the 10ga with me, then it could have been a 100 goose day. With all the geese leaving the roost, flying over me and feeding two fields to the North.

After 1.5 hours of a non stop goose flights, I had a four pack respond to my calling and after double tapping the 12lb goose, it fell with one wing still flying and the goose glided 250 yards to the bean field and by the time Tucker and I trudged through the two feet of swampy goodness to get to it. The goose had hobbled on one leg and a broken wing across the bean field, up onto the county highway, and stopped traffic in both directions. Thence, Tucker, whilst on leash tackled it in the opposite ditch as I received a friendly wave from a truck driver and an astonished look from from an old lady in a car.

My legs are still burning.

BTW, I helped the Girl Scouts install that wood duck house last winter.

6. Ratboy

Ratboy Senior Refuge Member

You need to drink more Hamms then! I don't recall PB, Pud or Nazi complaining about a burning sensation. At least not in their legs...:flame

pud123 and pointblind like this.
  7. 1duckmaster

1duckmaster Elite Refuge Member

8. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Man I was hoping they would be a little more green by now

9. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Some are.

10. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Senior Refuge Member

Fun hunt for me. Got to take my old man out this weekend. He introduced me to hunting and fishing but hasn't waterfowl hunted in probably 20 years. Had a bang up shoot Saturday and did a flooded timber hunt today. Had to take only the easy shots as the high water and rice made cripples impossible to find. If our hide was better Saturday we could have had an easy limit but the mallards that had been in there kept picking us out. I thought the cover was thicker but we still had a blast. The old man had a blast and I was happy we had a good hunt. Even with all the bros out there with there avian X and Browning decals
    IMG_20171014_091734735.jpg
    Snapchat-868929386.jpg