2017 hunts

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by Swampfoot, Nov 18, 2017.

1. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

D Jr. Question for you. Living in the north we never see them but shouldn't the bluewings be showing some color by now? Full color bluewing is on my bucket list so just curious.

2. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Well...yes...and there have been a couple OK looking drakes...IMHO not a 'mounter"...but OK.

But if a fully done bird for the wall is your quest...I always recommends the last week of the season. And the Youth hunt birds the first week of February are spectacular most years.

3. duckmanJR

Weather has been terrible...cold and or rain is not your friend in Florida...birds (teal) have mostly moved on...but got on some today.

[​IMG]

GK1 likes this.
  4. duckmanJR

5. Swampfoot

Swampfoot Senior Refuge Member

Cold and rain or not you got it dialed in. Still looking here

6. duckmanJR

Shot teal and mottled ducks yesterday with my son and buddy from Michigan...
    Plans got changed due to weather ( Too windy /dangerous to cross the lake) today...snuck out to the mottled duck tree..

[​IMG]

7. duckmanJR

So, Today was my sons 39th birthday. He was on duty and did not leave the fire station till 8 and met up with me and my Michigander buddy. We worked a bit hard for them...but made it happen.
    [​IMG]

8. duckmanJR

Oh....and while I waited for him to get there....I shot these two..

[​IMG]

Feel a little bad. my buddy only had 1 shot...and missed. We'll go back Thursday and try them again.

GK1 likes this.
  9. duckmanJR

I didn't get yesterdays birds in ..... was tired and didn't get a picture, just tossed them in the refrigerator. We hunted a local spot and we each shot a mottled duck...and my son and I each killed a BW teal...my Michigan buddy wiffed a couple teal.

Today was a high energy hunt that took some effort...but once we got it dialed in...we did a 3 man limit of Ringnecks (with the michigander shooting a spooner)
    [​IMG]

Going to be cool ( Florida cold :D ) in the AM...close to freezing with a wind chill in the twenties....

10. duckmanJR

Oh man...was it cold! 34 degrees with wind out of the NW at 20...gusting to 24. And yes, I know it is not the kind of cold some see...but in east central florida...that is right there with our 4-6 coldest days of a year.

I was hoping the cold would hold the Black bellies on the roost but they were punctual...most had already passed at legal light...except one group. My son dinged one that fell long and we searched for but it was gone...my buddy missed, and I got mine.
    I moved them to two separate wood duck spots and low and behold...

[​IMG]
    They each got a nice drake.
    The real "up side" for me...was last time at this spot I left my brand new..first time worn Cabelas mid weight thermal top...and a nice Cabelas shirt...at the spot because it got warm and I took them off...only to remember that back at the landing...
    So, I got a duck...and $35 worth of clothing...a good day! :tu