Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

2018-19 Waterfowl Regs

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by goosepond, Aug 6, 2018.

1. goosepond

goosepond Senior Refuge Member

I imagine by now most everyone has look at the new 2018-19 waterfowl regs. I read through them, and in the very end, I was a little surprised on page 35 (https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/defaul...migratory-game-bird-2018-2019.pdf?update=6-18) when the F&G put the new Idaho Trespass law and information on it in the regs. I appreciate it. I am just wondering how many hunters, not just waterfowl, have really read the new trespass law and understand what it says. I know I followed it closely as it went through the legislature and became law, and I guess I really didn't understand how intense and how much responsibility it puts upon the hunter now.

In the past, in a lot of cases, I always had written permission from land owners that I either new by a association (not close friend or owner), and written permission from new land owners that I got permission to hunt on their property for the 1st couple of years until the owner told me I didn't need written permission to hunt. Those that were very close friends, they said I didn't need written permission and their word was good to hunt so I didn't get written permission from them.

But, if you read what F&G has in the new regs, it sounds like EVERYONE must have written permission to hunt private land. Here is what it says, "All persons must have written permission or other lawful form of permission to enter or remain on private and to shoot any weapon or hunt, fish, trap or retrieve game."

I know some will say verbal permission would fall under the part, "or other lawful form of permission" would count. But, I am not sure on that as ambiguous this new law is.

Question is, how many now will get written permission on the little form that F&G has included in the regs, or something similar starting this year on property that you hunt on even if it is a very closer personal friend or family?

I guess I for one will do it unless the owner insists that I don't need it, but, I will document it for sure.

Anyone else have a thought on this bassackwards trespass law?

Farm Bureau and a lot of legislators didn't do a lot of us any good with this new law.

Time is running short and it will be here before you know it.

2. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

I wonder how this affects the "Access Yes" areas? Those are all private ground, so if the F&G require written permission, does that mean everyone now has to contact the land owners for those areas? That'll get old really fast for those land owners.