Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

2018-2019 Plantation Bottoms'.....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Mar 2, 2018.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I weren’t. Just setting the record straight. I like Mr Rex. The annual PB thread is one of my favorites. My response wasn’t meant to anger.

2. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    B.B. -
    Looks like Oz aint a rookie now. He's a sho' nuff' duck hunter, pure and simple. I got a kick out of Stuff' talking about his uniform of choice for the day yesterday.. He said, you need to take a pix of me with my newest waterfowl jacket that even fits for Billy Bob! where did that come from? Says he ordered it from Cabalas a few years ago when they was selling out some Herters' coats. I didn't take the pix. I told him that his coat of choice with that string of ducks hung around his neck boasting that big patented smile of his, and the knees of his waders hanging at his ankles was kinda stuck in my mind at the present time and that there is a special place on the wall of ThorneSide Cabin for that picture to be displayed for all to see. I kinda thought that he had his place in history with his one armed
    rain coat, but this one tops that. He said that the waders being a little long was really my fault and I ought to be ashamed of myself for even letting that happen. Beings Im the who was furnishing him with Test Waders,
    I ought to be more intuned as to what is needed. Stuff' that aint my fault you got short legs......

Yesterday, he brings a fine set of waist high waders that looked new. Where did you get those waders? From you several years ago, I just been saving them for the right time. Besides, they are 5mil and real warm and its got to be cold to wear them. Im telling you, the man is a mystery of sorts and a legend. He even brought out a camo flask filled full of some concoction with a apple cider & white lightening mixed up by some yankee friend he met.

Me & Maggs are sitting here looking out the window watching it snow. Kinda second guessing going yesterday instead of today. Nope.... We did right going yesterday. Plantation Bottoms' is now down to local ducks so we need them to gather up some friends for a better hunt and also swap blinds over to the uncomfortable Hopper Blind for a different look. That ought to fool them for a few days.

Me & Maggs..........

3. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

Ya Oz doin awright. Seasons out fo two weeks oer here so he ain't a happy camper
    right now. He can't seem to grasp holt o the concep o season splits.

Ol Stuff always got a ace or two up his sleeve. You got to keep a weather eye on him. Tol me he had the yankee doin yard work an such.
    I won't gonna say much bout them waders bein oer his head if he pulled em up but since you brought it up...
    Anyways I run right down to the crabber supply store an bought me some o them orange gloves. If thets what Stuff sportin they good enough for me. IMG_20181205_123926402.jpg
    You boys sure been spankin em. Mags in high cotton these days an good for her.
    That big ol hopper blind'll get em but you gotta be mighty careful gettin to thet left end in the dark.
    Atter I slipped on the 2 liter bottle I tripped oer a cinderblock an fall into a stack o cinder blocks. Bout then Rex pipe up wit a " watch yoself on that end- stuff got some kinda project goin on, me an Andrew don't go down there". Damn if them geese ain't try to lite right in thet blind thet day though.
    I still ain't figgered out what Stuff were doin wit them cinder blocks....

4. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Well B.B. -
    We aint either and them blocks is still there. When we was brushin that big thing, me & Andrew started looking for some place to sit down to rest a spell behind it in the shade and Stuff' steps around the corner and grunts a little and comes walking out caring one of them blocks. He brings it over and sits down. Said he keeps one of them in his stash for just such an occasion. Says, you never know when a fella needs to take a sit-down.
    Seems like there are 6 or 8 over there & I aint sure how they got there, but they are Stuff's just the same.
    I snuck out one of his plastic cut-down pallets from over there this fall and hid it. We aint hunted it yet so's he aint missed it. He did say once that the sides are too tall for regular size folk and ducks dont always fly directly overhead. Sometimes a fella needs to look out front. And beings the dang thing is so high off the ground, lots of times you got to shoot down at them. He says he cant even see down, much less see down. A delima me and Andrew really aint worried about it cause we aint got no problems with it.

I got me a pair of them red chemical gloves for decoy pickin up in the cold. Works pretty good and cheap from Tractor supply.

Yes sir, Maggs is getting into the rhythm now and hunting pretty good now. She has been having some trouble with the placement of the home-made ramp I put on the MollyAnn blind. It hangs down about an inch under water with a step below it. I think she must have hit it the 1st couple of times she jumped in the water and hurt her leg. She now dives off to the side of the thing when jumpin in. I guess I need to do some adjustment with it. She will be in high cotton when we move to the Hopper Blind cause aint no telling how many ducks she's brought up those steps over her yrs. She's got that down.

We noticed that Stuff' has been sayin' a few times that "WE" need to do this or that next season. Me and Andrew look at each other then and just shake our heads. Stuff' is working on some kind of plan for something for us to do. Something to keep the "kids"(as his Missus' calls us) busy during the off season.

You and Razor need to make a trip back over, just because...

Me & Maggs......

5. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

Yeah we do. We bout due for a road trip.

6. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Its all on you!
    I just finished grillin' up a pork loin for tomorrow. Cut up and put on the Biskets.... Lots of rain for the weekend and iffin' there aint no ducks, there most likely wont be no hunters for the weekend.

[​IMG]
    But, you got to go to know!

Me & Maggs.........

Reelcranky likes this.
  7. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Mornin' all-
    After yesterdays jam up, shootem' up hunt at the Bottom's, we chose to take another look at our situation at hand. We started off with ducks and a bunch of ducks I might add, but they began to wise up fast after the shooting started. They started swinging wide of the blind they were gettin burned by. So, we figured we would move to our big Hopper Blind that's always been good.
    We moved and so did the ducks... As in gone from the Bottoms'. We saw a total of 8 birds just diddling around. The Bottoms did give us our chance as it most always done and put bout' 15 gooses 20 yds right over our heads. We're pretty sure we never touched a feather when the smoke cleared. We all three came up with some pretty good excuses, but the main one is, we just shot where they weren't. And, that was difficult at best cause there every where..

Me & Maggs are now seeing bunches of birds. RNT, Mojo, & Avian X are showing bunches and we just cant decide which one to watch. But, right now we're dry and comfortable!! I'm thinking we need a build up cause we have now caught up with everyone else. No ducks...

Me and Maggs........

stevena198301 likes this.
  8. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

We saw the same 8 ducks + 4 more, not counting the little bunches of fast flappers moving up and down the lake. Maybe it picked up for some folks, we heard some pretty good vollies up river and the teal hole. Ifn you left early, you missed out on the sandhill crane show. They were on the move on up in the morning and it looked like a couple of bunches were lookin' to set down somewheres. Proud to say the fat lady didn't sing but we sure could hear her clearin' he throat.

9. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Afternoon All -
    Me & Maggs, Andrew, & Stuff' went after'em this morning. We sat in the Cabin this morning trying to figure out which blind we needed to be in. The MollyAnn won out. Mainly because the blind had a good heater but we were going to have that north wind right in our faces. AND, danged if we didn't! It was cold! 10 minutes before shooting time, bout' 20 did it perfect, right over at 15yds and lit bout' 65 yds away. Then, a couple minutes later, the same thing happened.. OK, the decoys are all wrong but we will just work through it.. bout 10 minutes after shooting time, Dang! same thing. We did see several ducks this morning and several at 15 or 20 yds belly up... Seems no one really wanted to stand up and look behind us. Oh well, we scratched a few out and that's what we went for so all is good.

Besides, we really aint killers, and this morning, we really weren't shooters cause we didn't shoot. We drew blood and it wasn't ours and didn't loose any cripples, so it was a great day and we got to toast the dead a few times. The blind came be moved fairly easy but its so dang big, it really stands out if moved anywhere else.
    So, it is what it is.

Im sleepy and I got to go catch up with Maggs.....

Me & Maggs......

10. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Afternoon -
    I forgot.... I took one pix for a customer this morning. I told him I was in a meeting in the conference room this morning and I would get back with him later. He said send picture of room. For some reason, he didn't trust me..

[​IMG]

Thats 35 yds strait across from the MollyAnn blind looking due north, right in the north wind. It was cold!

Me & Maggs......