Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

2018-2019 Plantation Bottoms'.....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Mar 2, 2018.

1. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

Always got a seat for you Stuff an if we ain't we'll kick somebody out. All you got to do is get here. We fixin to start doin some o that big water huntin you wanna get into anyways.
    Them otters is always in there.

2. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Morning B.B. & Happy New Year!! Im assuming ole Razor has hung up his spurs now in the local school system?? We hope so as you need a full time huntin' pard'ner besides Oz.

I was tellin my Missus' this morning thats its turning into a LONG last two weeks for us for sure..
    Looks like the north is getting covered up with the white stuff(Not Stuff'..) so maybe the new birds might start showing up. Who knows.. We hope the best for ya'll in 2019.

Me & Maggs......

3. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

Same to you an yo crowd Rex.
    Lookin like one o them Feb/March winters.

4. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning all -
    Yes sir, you is right on that one B.B. Yesterday, me & Maggs, Andrew, & The Suffer' was sitting in ThorneSide Cabin ponderin' the whereabouts' for us to be sitting in the next hour or so. Stuff' says we ought to go to the Ole Hilton Blind. It aint be hunted for the last 5 or 6 yrs nor even had any camo put on it. Me and Andrew moved it to the "Bankers Island" (which is a little high spot right in front of the ramp covered with big Willows').
    Andrew says it ought to be good for something instead of just resting up in the woods. Anyways, off we went to SxS's old Hilton Blind. The blind is dang near 54 years old. Its been refurbished a time or two but the main frame is still the main frame as it aint been touched since it was built back in the day.

[​IMG]

Its sure kilt' a bunch of birds through its years and hopefully a bunch more. There aint many that have had a life like the Hilton Blind!

[​IMG]

Stuff' says its so close to the ramp it ought to be designated as the Handicap Blind as every bottoms' has one. Well, here it is..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I sent this pix to SxS and he said, "Awesome to see the old blind hunted by old men!!" I don't know about that but it is an old blind anyways... Stuff's missus tells him all the time to make those two kids you hunt with
    watch after you and don't do stupid stuff(Not Stuff' but to stuff....)

Me & Maggs..........

5. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

The christmas lights are a nice touch.

stevena198301 and riverrat47 like this.
  6. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

It's been a minute since I hauled my carcass up into that old blind. If I remember correctly, that old blind would creak and groan when the wind would howl.
    On another matter, there's not no ducks...no wheres. Omar & I hunted Reelfoot Saturday and Sunday and it was sad. Saw a few, killed a few but it was nothing like it ought to be. Yesterday, there mighta been more crappie fishermen than duck hunters. We ate good, heard and told old stories, met new folks but nobody had braggin' rights as to bein' in the hot spot.

7. Gander View

Gander View New Member

For all you fine gentleman in Tennessee don't hold your breath waiting on the next big storm front to bring you a grand passage of waterfowl because we up here in Indiana don't have anything to send your way.
    This goes down on record as the worse season ever for me as well as others in the Northern half of the state.
    We have good numbers of Canada's and in recent years were seeing a few more White fronted geese as well as Snows and Blues but the ducks are avoiding us like we have the plague.

8. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Happy New Year to all from Me & Maggs!!!!!
    Stevie - It still does.. I think I has to do with the wind blowing in and through the 4 spud poles with all the holes
    in them. After huntin' the old thing, we have bout decided to swap places with it and the MollyAnn blind next year. Its just too comfortable, plus it has the history...
    B.B. - those Xmas lights we installed were put in to add a touch of class to the ole girl a few years back. Thanks for noticing.
    Yesterday morning around 8am, me and Maggs got marching orders... There we were minding our own business and the Missus' pipes up and says with a very stern voice, "Both of you, get out of my kitchen"!!
    Im tired of dodging this black mass of hair & slobber in the floor and you asking silly questions and moving stuff
    (Not Stuff'....) around where I cant find it. Why don't you two load up and go check the blinds at the Bottoms' after the storm last night.... NOW! Well, you don't have to tell me & Maggs twice...... We hurried and grabbed a leaky pair of waders in the corner(now I remember why they were hanging in the corner....), some snacks, water, blind bag & gun, & a rain coat just in case... and off we went. I figured we could have a few decoys out and be hunting right about 9:30 and leave around 11:30. Trying to get back just in time to partake of the vittles what the Missus' might have been whuppin' up with us in the way.. Besides, what a way to end the year. Duck Huntin'!

Sometimes we(ME..) forget to act our age when we are out by ourselves. Here I am with a fleet of duck boats at my disposal, from the plate-boat with the 25hp Yamaha, 2ea 4HP motors that both run, 2 trolling motors with a hot battery, & I decided that today, I would just do it the old fashion way and go with a set of oars, just because... It just seemed appropriate for some silly reason. With the wind blowing from the south at 20 mph and Im needing to go south, I didn't figure it would be too much trouble and coming back would be easy. I wasn't going but about 250 to 300 yards or so to the little sneaker blind and I should be able to wade when I got them to put out the decoys(all 10 of them). That's when I remembered where the waders leaked.
    Maggs aint ever seen oars before and couldn't understand why I didn't put on the trolling motor that was in the back of the trk along with the battery 5 feet from the boat when I was loading up. Piece of cake Maggs!
    (We didn't have any cake with us...) Once I pushed away from the ramp and got situated & oars in hand and headed the right way, I had drifted only a couple hundred feet the wrong direction from where I was headed.
    I worked my way past the Hilton Blind, the MollyAnn Blind and the Hopper Blind to the little Sneaker Blind.
    Great we're here! Maggs jumped out and I started throwing out the decoys and sticking the equipment in the blind, and fast too cause the waders were leaking pretty good right then.. I took the boat down bout 50 or so yards and pulled it up on the bank. Loaded up and in the blind at 9:30 - right on time. I saw a few ducks, 2 big bunched up high and headed north, too warm in Tn I guess) Maybe another 40 or 50 flying around in small bunches and singles but nothing wanted to play along with the 60 or 75 local geese making noise.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only duck that wanted to play was the one that seems to always come in when the gun is unloaded and you are leaving, which is what happened. I could see the skies were beginning to get dark and it was 11:30 so me and Maggs headed back. That easy rowing coming back wasn't so easy either. I blew past the ramp at about 20 mph and I was another 100 feet by it by the time I got stopped and turned around.

Anyways, I was quite proud of myself for doing it the old way and being strong enough to make it happen.
    Really it was more like silly enough to make it happen. Today, the 1st of the new year, I have decided that "I have been there and done that" with that rowing thing and hope I don't ever have to do that again. Arms and back are sure laughing at me right now...Why do my legs hurt like crazy? What did rowing have to do with legs anyway.

Happy New Year all!!

Me & Maggs......

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  9. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

'Bout them oars. I kinda like to see where I'ma goin' not where I've been. That feller over to Reelfoot what made those oars that worked backards was on to sumpin'.

riverrat47 likes this.
  10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Happy new year, Mr Rex.