Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

2018-2019 Plantation Bottoms'.....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Mar 2, 2018.

1. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Seeins that the weatherman was gonna make it rain today, Huey & I eased over to LR yesterday afternoon to do business with da gooses. I didn't have high hopes 'cause it was clear and I had a bad wind for where I was gonna set up. 'Bout 15 minutes after I set up, a threesome came through the gap on the north end and plopped down. Well, ifn they was gonna play that game, I had sumpin for 'em. I left the dummies where they was and moved the 100 yards down to the gap they like to fly through. Wells, 'bout 10 minutes later, a pair came through the gap I'd just left. Dang. Then in about 15 minutes, 20 of the big bullies came shootin' through the gap where I wasn't. Double dang. But I was committed to hold my ground. I was watchin' a small bunch off the south end when a threesome what was runnin' silent, slipped up on me and caught me unawares. Triple dang. Time was runnin' out but with 2 minutes to go, a single came a honkin' from behind me and would pass over straight up. I was ready and he didn't know what hit him. Huey didn't have but about a 15 foot retrieve but he was happy to make the fetch. And that was it. Now, I've got 8 months to plan and scheme. I'll get my revenge by golly.

stevena198301 likes this.
  2. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

Did ol Huey give ya 'the look' when them geese was comin where you left from?
    IMG_20181114_071115513_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    He told Oz thet one goose finally just committed suicidal sos the flock could roost in peace.

3. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Wells, the Huey knows what's game and what's not. He was eye ballin' those geese and then look back at me like "why ain't you shootin' boss, I can fetch 'em where they hit". After I picked up and loadin' the truck, geese was a comin' from ere' direction and he lost his mind. He was runnin' around like he could done cautch 'em all by his own self.
    The boy done learned his own self 'bout hawks. We was just sittin' in the bushes awaitin' for the arrival of some gooses when his head done whipped around like sompin' done cautch his attention. What it was, was some kinda little tweety bird went scurryin' thru the bushes and the Hman was on it. He made a 20 foot dash when he met up wit the sparrow hawk what was chasin' the same little tweety bird. The little hawk done flew up in Huey's face and done flipped around in mid-air. so did Huey. He done just kinda looked around at me like what the heck was dat. The boy is certainly entertaining.

4. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Afternoon Folks -
    Me & Maggs & the Missus' headed up to the Bottoms' today to get some lumber we had stored in our barn for her new old cabin. 1 x wides, old roof metal, a door, & misc things she thought we needed to bring home just in case.. Anyways, we rode down to ThorneSide Cabin just to check things out and boy we got water...
    Here we are, "Deja vu" all over again. The same thing this time last year.... With the same old dang Carp swimming under the gate. Right now, the level is about a foot before it gets in the equipment shed. It most likely will make it by next week if the darn rain keeps up. The Gooses are already started choosing up who gets to nest on the top of which blind. I hate that too.

[​IMG]

The drive needs the maintience crew(me....) to bring the rock rake over and try to find our drive again before we csant gret down it without 4wd...

Always something...

Me & Maggs......

5. deac

deac Elite Refuge Member

Ever since them govt dudes showed up wit them instraments an devices an money you been flooded.
    Knowed right off sumpin was supspicious bout thet...

6. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Them govt. dudes have disappeared completely.. They left everything they were using right where it was. I got a 1/4 mile of some kind of wire with a funny looking probe on the end of it and on the other end(inside a metal box) is a connection looking doo-hicky that goes into some-kind of computer. Ever since the state folks contacted us and said that all of the underground water has arsenic in it and that them govt folks need to be sued, they aint been back. We don't care whats under the ground, period. We don't want nothing to do with them. We pretty much just told them to stay on their side of the fence and we'll stay on ours.
    At least we know where the water runs out into the lake and at a good clip right now. One thing for sure, its sure full of fish right now, all kinds...

We just hope its out by July the 1st for about 100 days and we'll be happy clams..

Me & Maggs........

7. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Fellas -
    Yesterday was tough on me & The Missus'. Maggs faired alright by all accounts cause' she spend most of her day layin' on the seat of the Gator snoring. But, she was there with us, just in case..
    The Missus' allowed as to how and when(and when was yesterday) the floor of the cabin needed to be finished so's we can get on with puttin' a roof on instead of a tarp. We had got some BIG oak 1 x wides from the ThorneSide Cabin barn for the project so on they went, but only after we got the wiring roughed in and the floor braced up(as in each log joist from under-neath). My goodness what a job of crawling around in the mud & on the floor with sore knees. All of the bending over and screwing down the boards has put me & the Missus' moving very slow this morning. There was a fireplace on one end a bunch of years ago, but it fell down, also a bunch of years ago. WE had to put in logs where the fireplace was to close up that end of the cabin and put in a window. I had a big pile of cedar logs I have collected through the years so I had to pick through them for the right sizes to use and EVERYTHING is heavy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Rain is predicted in the next 14 days every day ceptin' for today and maybe next Monday. We're taking a "bye" for today beings we cant hardly move today. Andrew says, why don't you just hire some kid to help you with all of this. As my Dad used to say, Son, there is a couple ways to get the work done on a project. You can do it yourself, or you can hired hired it done. But, in the end, you will end up doing it yourself anyway so that's the way you might as well be going. He was right about all of that I have found. My Missus' says, beings we are 68 yrs of age, just how many more years are we going to go until we say, enough is enough...
    Not complaining mind you, she says but just asking.... I said, when we become an adult I reckon and know better... Im hoping two days to start and complete the roof. Whew.... and I know those two days are going to be long ones...

Oh well, aint nothing to do til' the water gets out of the Bottoms' and the dove field needs planting.. Maybe we will get a couple dry days in a row between now and then.

Me & Maggs........

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019 at 11:06 AM
    Clayton likes this.
  8. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

F248F3D0-16C5-4FB2-8A21-0CB2CA3876DD.jpeg Better convert that cabin into ark.
    Here is the seven day forecast.

stevena198301 likes this.
  9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Weather man is talking about 12" of rain over the next 8 days. I've never hoped a weather man was more wrong. I got stuff to do!

Mr. Rex,

Looks like y'all are doing a fine job on that cabin. :tu

10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I honestly don't think my yard has dried out since last April. Several times last summer it was so wet I had to use a push mower, and my yard is two acres. And it really hasn't had a break since.

Clayton likes this.