2018-2019 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 1, 2018.

1. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Reports have really slowed down it seems. I'm planning on hunting saturday in the snow for the 3rd saturday in a row. Won't be able to be out very long but should have good wind too. We still don't have our goose pit in yet but I think we are going to try and get it in the ground the next saturday. Quite the snowstorm across the whole state and southern SD. People south of the snow line should pick up some new birds once it's done I would think.

Huskermut likes this.
  2. Huskermut

Huskermut New Member

Hunting both days this weekend. Trying a new spot as well. We'll see if they cooperate.

3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Supposed to rain here in the east which makes it kinda miserable to hunt and not sure how the roads will be to go as far west as we normally go. Next week though......:tu

4. nebgoosehunter

I only was able to hunt for about an hour and a half this morning. My dad was sick so I went solo and did decent. Probably only saw 60 ducks but brought home three greenheads. No doubt I would have had a limit had I stayed but that's no big deal as it was fun just to watch a few flocks work this morning before I had to get on the road. I'm guessing the low numbers were due to ducks being spread out as a lot of water opened back up this week with the warm weather and rain.

Huskermut and goosehunter140 like this.
  5. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

Saw a nice migration of Canada’s from about 10:00 till 1:00 today, enough ducks for a good shoot but not an over abundance

6. Huskermut

Huskermut New Member

Hunted Sat, Sun, and Monday. Ended with four ducks and two geese. It is stale. Little lakes and ponds should start freezing up this week which will help a little.

7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Lots of snows around Fremont yesterday.

8. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Absolute dream hunt yesterday. Group after group of big wads of mallards (and bonus widgeon). I think we coulda shot 100 if we had the guns.

9. nebgoosehunter

Where did the ducks go!? Saw three ducks this morning is all. All three came home with me. Didn't even see any high flyers. Granted it was somewhere between 0 and 5 degrees and when I went across the river afterwards it was running slush and geese were still roosting, but still, I would expect more than that for the time of year. Wish I could have hunted longer than an hour and 15 minutes to see if they actually flew once it warmed up. No hunting tomorrow as we'll be getting the goose pit in the ground. Looks like we'll have alfalfa in front and corn behind. Looking forward to sitting in there and not having to worry about waders for the first time this year.

ajj16, Huskermut and Neck Collar like this.
  10. nebgoosehunter

Came back to town after putting our pit in the ground Saturday afternoon and decided to head out with my boys for a very short local goose hunt. I didn't have time for layouts so we just sat at the pivot point in some weeds. I also only had time for about two dozen decoys, so our prospects weren't looking good for the 45 minutes we were going to have. Well I actually got one flock of about a dozen to circle me twice and on the last pass they were 15 yards right over top. To my boys delight and my own I tripled on them. Were they ever thrilled to see that! I myself had a huge smile on my face as I was just happy my boys got to see that up close instead of down in a pit where little ones can't always see the action. What I thought was going to be a long shot on an impromptu hunt turned into probably the highlight of my season so far.