2018-2019 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 1, 2018.

1. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Wow what a morning! I've never seen such good decoying action with a dead calm wind before in all my years of hunting. Shot a three man limit by 9:15 and every single one was feet down decoying in with not a breath of wind. Usually on those calm mornings you can draw them over but then you are almost pass shooting them at 30 yards because they are seeing something and not working all the way down. There are piles of geese around now after two good pushes from the north and now birds back from the south within the last two weeks. Probably five to ten times as many geese around as there were two weeks ago. With so much time left in the morning we went on a scouting mission for ducks to all my known places that can hold ducks that I've found over the years. Numbers are absolutely abysmal. This is by far the worst duck numbers we have had in years. We did stop at one spot and did a quick jump shoot and shot six mallards to cap off the day as the hurricane force winds came in. It was a great day with some friends that I rarely get to hunt with.
    [​IMG]

2. Fozzbear

Fozzbear Senior Refuge Member

Nice job Tyler! Looks like a great day. We went to 3/day/person limit this year up here and I thought that was great. I wish it was 5/day. How much season do you have left down there? I might be back out there this spring again chasing turkeys.

3. nebgoosehunter

Until the second weekend of February I believe. Snows and specks open back up on the 19th and at this rate there should be quite a few shot in the state this year until the conservation order. Nebraska as a whole probably hasn't wintered this many snow geese for years. I'm taking my boys and a couple buddies to my goose pit Saturday morning. Light winds are forecast but I don't anticipate the success we had with light winds on Monday, but you just never know.

4. Fozzbear

Fozzbear Senior Refuge Member

5. nebgoosehunter

Pretty good morning for Huskermut, another buddy, me, and my two boys. Zero wind again, although we did have a nice breeze pick up after the flight but it was too little too late. What we shot decoyed excellent. Numbers were a little less than monday but still pretty good. They just had one field on their mind and were flying super high. We still managed to get 11 so it ended up being a good morning!

ajj16 and Huskermut like this.
  6. Huskermut

Huskermut Refuge Member

What a weekend in Nebraska! Saturday was good as nebgoosehunter said, 11 geese with little wind and bright sun. Sunday, myself and two buddies went out with not too high of hopes and ended up having the best mallard hunt of my life. Three man limit by 8am.

Attached Files:

7. nebgoosehunter

Got permission in a new area I've never hunted before on a creek holding a few hundred mallards. A buddy from work and I are going to give it a try on Friday. Not much cover besides an occasional small tree here or there so that may make it tough, but I'm up for a good challenge and it should be fun!

ajj16 and Huskermut like this.
  8. nebgoosehunter

We had a fantastic morning hunt before work! The hide was a little bit of an issue but we made due and shot all singles for our limit of greenheads, which is fine with me, it extends the hunt a little bit longer. Looks like I have another nice mallard spot to go to now. I tried getting permission last year, but the farmer said he had yearlings in there and didn't want me shooting around them, which is understandable. He sold the place last spring and I met with the new farmer and was able to secure permission. Looking forward to some more hunts off this place in the future.
    [​IMG]

9. nebgoosehunter

Had another good day out in paradise this morning! The fog was a blessing with no wind and the birds that came in, came in very hard. It was an absolute treat watching the birds decoy this morning appearing out of the fog. As soon as the fog lifted it shut off and I think we only killed two more geese. Ended up with 13 geese and 11 ducks. Lost a green wing and a mallard in some tall pasture grass unfortunately. Shot a beautiful goldeneye and what several other people think is a mallard/black duck hybird. Both birds are getting put in the freezer. I have some other pictures of it that I have on my phone that I will try and post. That will be my last hunt until our baby comes. After that I'm hopeful to get one or two more goose hunts in.
    [​IMG]

ajj16, GK1, Neck Collar and 3 others like this.
  10. nebgoosehunter