2018-2019 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 1, 2018.

1. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

It's getting ridiculous waiting on our little guy and my wife has is still super tired so I took the boys to the pit yesterday afternoon so she could get a good nap with no interruptions. A buddy of mine joined me with his two little boys so it was a full and crazy pit. We had a good wind and lots of geese coming out in small flocks. They just did not want to work for some reason. I'm guessing they are just being typical late season birds. We changed the spread a couple times to no avail. We did miss a few that were plenty close to shoot at as they were fighting the wind but we just plain missed. Sometimes when they hover right above you it's hard to judge how much to lead them. Finally we got a flock of 15 in tight in the kill hole and we only got 3 lol. Decoyed a few more to finish the evening with 6 geese. Still a fun hunt but it was pretty frustrating to watch so many geese work us and then just keep on flying by.

Neck Collar, Huskermut and ajj16 like this.
  2. ajj16

ajj16 Senior Refuge Member

A buddy and I were able to make it out Saturday morning on a Sandhills river...birds were cooperative for a change and we were able to end with a 2 man of honkers by 9. He brought his 2 old super mag honker dekes he converted to swan dekes just to switch it up...birds seemed to eat it up ok. Of course a 6 pack of swans was about to land in the dekes as we were retrieving our last few birds, we wanted to see if we could find the collared one we saw a few weeks ago. I just wish our other 2 buddies that were supposed to go didn't back out at the last second because 20 woulda been a little more fun than 10 but I'll take what I can get this season. We will see what the cold weather does to the birds this week...

3. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

Lol, glad it's over!!!

Had an interesting year myself, getting old and don't hunt as much as I used to. Also, the boy is also getting older ,turns 21 on Feb 28th...tough to get a time when he don't have clients so I can squeeze in. Was able to get out with him last weekend and shoot afew honkers with the same 28ga that he shot his first goose with when he was 5. Where has the time gone...

Goosehunter140...he would LOVE to hear from you, he needs REAL shooters!! Pit blind, 1200+ Full body and floater snow goose dekes...

nebgoosehunter likes this.
  4. nebgoosehunter

Glad to hear from you Josh! I remember on the old NE Outdoors Forum when he just started hunting with you. I was able to take the boys out for one last Canada hunt Saturday afternoon. The was a definite flight line to the east and to the west of us and we were stuck in the middle with no much coming our way. Numbers were really good though. Shot one single that gave himself up and that was the only shell I fired. Didn't have a bad year out of our pit for only hunting it a handful of times. On to snow geese now! There are a few scattered around but not enough to set up a hunt yet. Could possibly see some come up mid week but then it gets cold again for the foreseeable future. I'll be ready when they are here. Putting 10 doz economy sillosocks together today to add to my dekes.

ajj16 likes this.
  5. hunting1

hunting1 Senior Refuge Member

Saw some snows headed your way from NE Kansas today. South of Squaw so may stop over there or Big Lake but a few pushing north. Never know after a couple warm days

6. jkern

jkern Elite Refuge Member

The kids have a rockin spot for migrators. With the lack of juvies I think I'm gonna let em build a day or 3 on the hole near home then setup small when they go feed. Similar to how the macks winners did it....same how the kids did it with the specks this year...really wish I wasn't locked in a job for that once in a lifetime. The video alone is insane

Huskermut and Danny Hernandez like this.
  7. nebgoosehunter

No real report from my end of the state. We got a couple inches of snow this past Friday and are supposed to get a few more inches tonight and tomorrow. Possibly several inches late in the week also to add on. Extended forecast looks to have the weather warm up the first full week of March. We'll have to burn off the snow first, so it will be March for sure before I'm shooting snow geese this year. Sheet water will be the key early on as the lakes have been adding ice for last few weeks pretty good.

8. goosehunter140

goosehunter140 Senior Refuge Member

New goose hunter yet ???

9. nebgoosehunter

Yep, had him back on the 5th. He and mom are doing great!

10. goosehunter140

goosehunter140 Senior Refuge Member

SUPER !!!! Got his shotgun ordered??