2018-2019 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 1, 2018.

1. goosehunter140

goosehunter140 Senior Refuge Member

BE SAFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Fog ruined the morning for a pass shoot. Went to some roosts to listen and all I heard were cans so I went for a drive to some traditional feeding areas. Had to just get out every few miles and turn the truck off and listen and all I ever heard were cans. Fog held on for quite awhile so I just went home early.

3. Huskermut

Huskermut Refuge Member

We dodged a majority of the snow from this storm. Saw several flocks of about 50 snows each trying to dump into different fields and get out of the wind. Probably would be a good day to hunt, if you could keep the socks in the ground!

4. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

Crazy flooding in NE Nebraska. Saw the bridge at 281 is out at Spencer.

5. nebgoosehunter

Wow, I feel bad for all you in in Eastern Nebraska dealing with flooding. I've never seen it this bad for such a large area. The blizzard out here lived up to the hype. We were on the eastern edge of the snow and I guessed we had about 8" with some large drifts in town. Winds gusted to about 80 last night. The crazy thing is we are going to be dealing with flooding now out here once all this melts, I just don't think to the severity as you guys since we aren't as populated.

Huskermut likes this.
  6. habitatman

habitatman Senior Refuge Member

Duck will be nesting in Nebr. this year. Basins will be full.

7. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

pitflood.jpg My (much larger and deeper than usual) lake in Tekamah. In the background you can see my 2nd Pit popped out of the ground a foot but is still full of water. 3rd pit is completely submerged as well. I guess there won't be much fishing for me this off season.

ajj16 and Huskermut like this.
  8. thunderfromdownunder

thunderfromdownunder Senior Refuge Member

Man that sucks sorry to see this

9. jzoo

jzoo Senior Refuge Member

Thanks. BUT this is the extent of the flood damage to me personally so I feel EXTREMELY blessed. 100k others have lost way way more.

Huskermut and goosehunter140 like this.
  10. nebgoosehunter

Got out for my first hunt in the decoys yesterday afternoon with my two boys. I can honestly say my 5 year old was a big help and knew where and how to put the decoys. I didn't even have to tell him. Needless to say it didn't take long to put out with just two of us. Birds flew real late, but saw a ton, we were just in the wrong flight line coming off the roost. Finally had some birds spreading out and had a pair of ross come from way up right to the boot bags and I only shot one, couldn't believe it. Had a couple more decent flocks give me a look right before sunset but they kept going. Had a flock of six come in right at sunset only to hang up right over me, they seemed like they were plenty kill-able at 50 yards, but I couldn't even scratch one out of them. A big feed got up to my west a few miles probably 15 minutes after sunset and the whole flock tornadoed down on me. In the dark like that I think they seem closer than they actually are. After two real good swings the whole flock seemed like they were just hovering over me at 40 yards and weren't going to make another pass so I cut into them and not a bird fell. I was beside myself, especially trying to get another bird for my oldest who is just plain obsessed. Looking back at the GoPro video they weren't hovering as much as I thought and were probably closer to 60 instead of 40 but it was just hard to tell in the dark and in the chaos of so many birds right above me and being so loud. Still should have been able to get one, but my shooting yesterday just plain stunk. It was still a fun hunt though, I decoyed snow geese so it was a success!

ajj16 and hunting1 like this.