2018-2019 Waterfowl Reports

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by nebgoosehunter, Aug 1, 2018.

1. habitatman

habitatman Senior Refuge Member

I did not hunt the basins this opening of duck season, can't remember when I mist one. I am to old to fight all the people in the basins on opening day. My two gran sons to me to a small water hole in a corn field.. We shot 5 woodies and 9 teal. Wish this spot was out in the basins.

2. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Another fantastic opening morning out in the Sandhills. Shot a heck of a mixed bag with nine different species including wigeon, gadwall, pintail, blue wing, green wing, redhead, canvasback, ringneck, and shoveler. Loads of birds out there right now but I'd suspect most will push out in the next few days only to be replaced again soon. Super dense fog made things challenging and really extended the hunt as there wasn't much flying around before it broke up. Unfortunately it might be two weeks before I can make it up there again, unless I get out before work some morning.
    [​IMG]

3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

we decided to go to the basins Friday evening and fight the crowds. Got to our "plan A" at 9:30pm, 2 trucks already there. Went to "plan B" and nobody was there yet. :tu Sat there all night waiting for others to show and begin the opening day rituals of running out to beat others to where we wanted to be. Nobody else ever showed up and we had the basin to ourselves for opening day of duck season. :eek: killed our limit within an hour and never shot for about the first 15-20 minutes waiting for better light. One of the best opening days ever in the basins.

4. habitatman

habitatman Senior Refuge Member

negooseman good for you I love though kind of days. You look younger than my gran sons. so I have to look for easy place for me to hunt. Here in the eastern basins not easy because to many hunters on opening day. I had a good day too. I just love being in the basins. Thanks for your post. Keith Friends of the Rainwater Basins.

goosehunter140 likes this.
  5. Huskermut

Huskermut New Member

Opening weekend in the Sandhills was a good one. Heavy fog and no wind Saturday really messed up the birds opening morning. The next day was a little better. Yesterday was by far the best day, ending with a solo limit. The birds worked great with the NE wind. Seems like we lost some birds before last week with the fronts. Hopefully the upcoming weather system moves some more into the region.

20181006_095706.jpg 20181007_101810.jpg 20181008_103711.jpg

6. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

Nice job Matt! How do you get your pics like that? Mine are always so huge. I use Imgur, but that is the smallest I can find.

7. Huskermut

Huskermut New Member

Thanks! Honestly I'm not sure. I just dragged them from my desktop to the comment section.

nebgoosehunter likes this.
  8. huntineveryday

huntineveryday Senior Refuge Member

Saturday didn't work out as planned. Birds wanted a different spot than they were using Thursday when I scouted, and we had too many people not hidden well enough. Pulled up without many birds, but had permission on some spots where I was able to jump shoot a limit of teal. Sunday was much better. We a spot birds were loafing on opening day, sat in the rain and took home limits from a steady trickle of ducks. Saw a pretty good mix of brown ducks and teal, saw a lot of pintail around. It sure is fun watching them drop straight down into the spread.

The way it's been raining I'm pretty excited. We could have water and ducks for quite a while if the weather cooperates!

9. Huskermut

Huskermut New Member

Well, the snow in western Nebraska has moved a lot of the birds out of the area. Hopefully it moves more down as well.

10. huntineveryday

huntineveryday Senior Refuge Member

We've got unharvested fields flooded in spots, with every pasture pond and wetland area holding water and some ducks. Hopefully this cold snap doesn't send more birds south than we receive from the north. Roads are pretty awful right now though, so getting to hunting spots could be tricky this weekend if the weather doesn't clear up.