2018 ducks geese

Discussion in 'Wisconsin Flyway Forum' started by marsh man dan, Aug 26, 2018.

1. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

Try your luck here.

CE2B0F68-D12B-4509-AC54-202BB7DEA762.png

Sit in your kayak within three feet of shore or just stand there. It’s deep though.

I’m not sure if it’s outside the city limits but it’s worth a shot. Tons of ducks use the river but you are not supposed to eat them.

2. slimm21

slimm21 Elite Refuge Member

Thanks. I would most definitely go North or South of Sheboygan to get away from the city. Will be curious as to the hide on the shoreline but I presume there are some spots to duck in by rocks.

Would be a nice day activity if I get dragged down there during hunting season.

3. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

I would agree the Miss River is pretty overrated. Ten years ago it was pretty darn good but only seems to get worse each year. Granted I am going earlier during the peak like I used to the but last few years the late season hunting has stunk. The crowds only seem to get worse each year and the new younger hunters seem to be a majority of guys who shoot at 90 yard high ducks. If you think hunter numbers are dropping you would never know it on the river.

take'm likes this.
  4. Ratboy

Ratboy Senior Refuge Member

I have a buddy the lives in LaCrosse and he said this year was unreal for birds. One reason might have been due to the cold November, but he did really well up until the season closed.

5. recker999

The key word is lives in Lacrosse meaning he is right near the hunting area and has the time to scout it alot. I have to drive three hours so scouting time would be very limited for me at best . If I lived in Lacrosse I could probably do pretty well also given I would have tons of time to scout the area. Also, he may have done well but I have read many reports of those who did flat out awful at Lacrosse. No matter what there will always be somebody who gets them. But I read alot of river reports this year and if they were being honest the vast majority did not do well at all.

As far as unreal for the birds the refuge counts were way down this year. In fact the last few weeks there was hardly a thing left. I am not sure what unreal for birds means. I guess he found some unreal spots but the number were way down.

6. recker999

That would be pretty funny to see you sitting in your kayak out in the open pass shooting ducks!

7. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

I call this the 95-5 rule. 95% of the people participating in a sport, you chose which one, are doing just that, participating. 5% of the people are actively succeeding at it. Using the excuse button like you just did shows me which category you end up in most of the time. Adapt and overcome, if this means so much to everyone than putting in the time to become proficient at it is nothing. If you want instant gratification and easy hunts with no work I would just spend the money on a pheasant club membership.

8. recker999

Really? I usually average over 5 birds a hunt in SD when I go every year and my season average is over 4 birds per hunt. Yeah I guess I do pretty darn bad and who knew that you knew me better than I know myself. I assume you have just tons of time to scout? Correct? Some of you guys act like those of us with kids and a really busy life should just be filled with all this time to scout. Again I would think if I had hours upon hours to scout the river I could probably do pretty well and so could alot of people. The fact is most people simply do not have that much free time anymore but get hit with the oh you are not working hard enough at it.

9. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Yep.

10. pud123

pud123 Elite Refuge Member

I never differentiated between what a person has going on in their life. It doesn't matter to me. All that matters is what your expectation are against how much time you have to put into that which you want the reward from. It is up to the individual to decide.