2018 garden prep

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by stevena198301, Feb 4, 2018.

1. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

I moved my chickens last fall and mulched the area the chickens were on. I plan to have two or three areas on rotation so that i dont have to till, strip or weed much. Let the chickens do all the work for me. I started kelsae onions last month. Going to start peppers soon. Another month or so to go before I can start tomatoes inside.

2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

C9345ECD-414E-48C7-80F5-57E75D9CC7E7.jpeg

They’re already started, will transfer to the woods in about 6 weeks

callinfowl and take'm like this.
  3. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Had a small series of raised beds and a large regular garden last year. This year I am expanding the raised beds, and lost the regular garden (it became horse pasture).

On the upside, horses provide the raw material for compost, so I have about 6 cubic yards cooking right now that should be ready for filling beds by the end of the month.

I'll start with my red potatoes, lettuces, and English peas. Next will be my peppers, tomatoes and herbs. Then my squashes, and other cucurbits. Last will be my pumpkins. Doubt I will mess with corn this year. All the corn does is lead to me becoming a hateful destroyer of squirrels and coons.

tcc and stevena198301 like this.
  4. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Anyone here have a problem with critters? What do you use to keep rabbits out of your garden besides shooting them with a 22 off the deck?
    Liquid Fence, Critter Ridder etc?

5. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Two Black and Tans work for the back yard Orchard. They despise birds and squirrels. And anything else that isn’t them or my lab.

The little six point may not be an issue for the pecan trees this year in the front. Think he got shot. Haven’t seen him since Nov. Coulda got run off. Either way, I gotta plant new pecan trees.

Don’t yet know how the front yard beds will do with critters.

6. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

What are y'alls thoughts on non-GMO certified seed?

7. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

What flavor of "pepper" you got? :h

8. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Now your talk'in, screw the salads.:tu:tu:tu
    We are lucky out here we can plant them right in the garden to keep the deer off of them.;):yes
    My Garden prep starts in December, I throw 50 lbs of Gypsum, 20 lbs of coffee grounds I get from the local coffee shack and a 5 gallon bucket of crushed egg shells that I get from the local greasey spoon and 50 lbs of worm castings and as much kelp as I can picked up at the local beach. I mix all the above with a green garbage bag of rotten lawn clippings and leafs from the apple trees. I put a 3'' layer over the soil and fold it in with a shovel, then I layer with lawn clippings and more leafs and a bail of rotten alfalfa. I'll till it all with 50 lbs of chicken and bull crap in around the end of this month and start planting in March or April depending on the night time temps.:tu
    I like to have things tilled in 2 weeks before I plant anything.:yes:tu:tu:tu

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  9. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Chicken wire is best, don't need to fence the entire garden just the stuff the rabbits like.

The spray on deterrents have to be reapplied after rain. You can make your own from cheap red pepper (big lots, Walmart etc... Usually have a 6-8 bottle of powder for $1). Mix with oil and water and let sit, then spray. Works ok but ruins your ability to walk and taste in your garden. For me there is no greater joy than walking through a garden mid summer and eating tomatoes right off the vine.

10. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Be starting tomato and jalapeno seeds here next week,then watermelon,cuc's,cantalope seeds.
    Been looking forward to getting back out in the dirt since getting seed catalogs right after Christmas.