2018 garden prep

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by stevena198301, Feb 4, 2018.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Green stuff growing? That’s almost 3 months away yet.

seiowa and OneShotBandit like this.
  2. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Notice the fan in the background.....lights are hot !

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Im building more raised beds, these will be cement block 16 inches high, building my own soil and "fishing worm beds. Lots of horse manure. those beds will be for berries
    I have 4: 40x40 x 36 inch tall beds. The beds get warmer sooner than the ground. Easier to maintain produce sooner and longer

4. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I planted garlic back in November and it's a foot high now, also have s bed of red torpedo onions going. Broccoli, kale and cauliflower are starting to take off too. Just put in a 35ft by 4ft raised bed I have the first asparagus of the season just coming up. Peas, cukes, bush beans, peppers and corn will go in a little later. We had such a mild winter that my Thai lemon grass barely got frost burned. It was 75 degrees today!

callinfowl likes this.
  5. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I saw this thread show up and I thought "who in the hell is thinking about gardening right now?" It's supposed to snow 5" here (probably snowed 2 or so since this AM) and it's 11 degrees out.

6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Been hitting th 50's the last few days. We went fishing Saturday and set up on holes from Friday, the Lake had split with open water,.. so maybe the trip tomorrow is out.

Ill start peppers and tomatoes in March Then move them in and out of the garage after they are a few inches high.

7. Fishun Injun

Fishun Injun Senior Refuge Member

Plant about an acre of silver queen corn on March 20th. About mid-april:Tomatoes,green beans,butter peas,squash,bell peppers,jalapeño peppers,eggplant,zucchini. Then about May 10th....OKRA!!! (Put up about 60 pints pickled)....some goes in the gumbo....some is battered and fried. Gotta LOVE the SOUTH!!!

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

And you guys call southerners crazy! :fp

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Gardening and turkey season prep coincide for me. :)

So much to do!

10. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I always moldboard plow our garden in the fall after I have fertilized it. I have tried to start seeds and it was always a disaster. They get about 2” tall and either die or fall over, For the past several years we have bought plants, it seem to work the best for senior citizens. It was 0 here this morning, not thinking too much about the garden.