2018 garden prep

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by stevena198301, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

I would bet your seedlings were not getting enough light. Spindly seedlings that fall over are searching for light. They thicken up and get strong with plenty of light.

DrakeStar and tcc like this.
  2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I’ll try that on some tomato’s and hot peppers. Thanx

3. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Same weather here. I started onions inside last month. Have to start them early to get big ones. Going to start peppers soon too because they grow so slow in this area. Now to go clear 6" of snow off the driveway before work.

4. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

It's supposed to be near 70 here next week.

5. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Line 3 inside walls of a good size cardboard box with foil and hang one of these lights 2'' above the box.
    And hang one of these over it. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXE9Q4...t=&hvlocphy=9031994&hvtargid=pla-316205783977
    Set a timer so the light is on 18 hours a day at the first sign of sprouting add a small osculating fan set on low will strengthen the sprouting plant stems. https://www.amazon.com/Holmes-Blizz...refinements=p_n_feature_browse-bin:2245210011 This way you can start your seedlings year round inside your house. I learned this trick from guys that are very good at growing things.;)

6. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

As others have said, the seedlings are reaching for light. I'm guessing you are starting them next to a window or somewhere that doesn't get adequate light. You need to hang grow lights a few inches above them and raise the lights as the plants grow. I used to do this in a small shed with a space heater added to help the plants grow a bit faster. Buying started plants is a lot less work.

Another option are cold frames. http://www.finegardening.com/article/4-ways-to-use-a-cold-frame

7. HuntTilDusk

HuntTilDusk Refuge Member

https://www.gemplers.com/product/G76541/Garlic-Oil-Repellent-Pkg-of-50-Green-Dispensers

I use these around my trees and shrubs when they are young. similarly, my gma used to border her whole garden with garlic plants every foot or so. If you have a deer fence you could clip these around the fence

Fowler267 likes this.
  8. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

If or when your plants get big enough to set by a window, turn the tray 180 degrees every day. When the plants lean towards the sun, reversing it and making them lean the other way follows what happens in nature.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  9. Fishun Injun

Fishun Injun Senior Refuge Member

I just Cheat and buy my pepper,tomato and eggplants from the Co-Op.....they are "Bonnie Plant farm Plants"...always very good luck with them!! They sell squash plants also....But if you can't make a squash plant come up when planted in the garden....you have not a speck of GREEN on your thumb!!

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I buy some started plants too, but starting seeds opens up a whole variety of stuff you can't buy locally.

WHUP ! Hen and Fowler267 like this.