2018 garden prep

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by stevena198301, Feb 4, 2018.

1. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

They make all the maters I like (Bonnie).

Anyone know anything about/grow moon-and-stars watermelons?

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I like growing oddball stuff, or at least stuff not normally found at the local nurseries. Trying several varieties of black tomatoes and some different peppers this year.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. stevena198301

Doing Cherokee Purples this year.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Did those last year but didn't do well (whole garden didn't though, was way late getting in and then was a half hearted effort).

Went with Galaxy Blacks and Atomic Cherry this year; hopefully have better results .

WHUP ! Hen and stevena198301 like this.
  5. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Thanks for the suggestion......I will try the garlic and see how it works. The little buggers ate my raspberry canes right down to the ground. At least they were ever bearers and not summer bearers and will have fruit on next fall.

6. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

To keep seedlings from falling down add a little bit of soil as they grow so that only 1" shows. It'll make for deeper, stronger roots. Also, plants should be "hardened" with a fan or placing out in the breeze for a short time each day for 5-6 days to strengthen the stem before planting outdoors.

7. stevena198301

Welp, just finished up the first bed. This’ll be the mater bed. 3’x12’x12”. Got the other built, but my back can’t take anymore dirt moving today, and tomorrow is a turkey hunting day. Gonna see how this felt works on top with keeping weeds out. Went with 8” of topsoil, then 4 inches of garden blend as a topper. I’ll finish the second one next weekend, hopefully. Hope everyone has a prosperous growing season!

1D46CC74-857D-4414-8729-6429D9EF27AF.jpeg

DrakeStar and tcc like this.
  8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

This is the second year we have been under attack from squirrels digging up all of the planters on our deck. This is also the second year that our cat has been RIP. Should have had him taxidermied as it is clear that his presence kept the squirrels at bay. A taxi cat out on the deck would have made a great squirrel deterrent.

9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

My wife has the starts going in her greenhouse as we speak. She is in charge of vittle growing and I am in charge of mowing grass and killing weeds (which I particularly enjoy...Roundup is my friend).

10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Anybody use airpots or other air pruning type setups? I ended up planting a lot of my stuff in mesh baskets, milk crates, etc to give it a shot. So far so good.