2018 garden prep

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by stevena198301, Feb 4, 2018.

1. pull-do

pull-do Elite Refuge Member

skirls die of lead poison around my citrus trees and garden,, strangest thing.

2. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

My raised beds are all planted. Put in garlic and onions last fall and they are kicking butt. Put in broccoli and snap peas, but I'm having problems with sparrows eating the leaves off them. I've already gotten several pounds of asparagus. Once the garlic and onions are harvested in June I'll switch those beds over to tomatoes. Also, have some pumpkin seeds from some 100lb plus pumpkins, I grow them for the local kids at Halloween.
    Two days ago I went down to a local dairy, for $10 they'll fill the back of your pickup truck with composted manure. Guy was feeling generous, filled my full size long bed pickup to the top of the cab, about 3-4 yards! Yesterday I spread about 3 yards of it on the non-raised bed part of the garden and tilled it in. We're supposed to have some rain this week, so I'll let in soak in and then till it again. Going to wait a couple weeks before planting, got lots of seedlings going, and am going to try some novelty corn this year, colored Indian corn and Gem corn.

stevena198301 likes this.
  3. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Damnest thing is they do the very same thing around my place,what an oddity. :scratch:dv

4. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

god dang, and I thought my truck stunk.

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Composted manure, not raw. Shouldn't have more than a faint smell if any.

6. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Chicken , horse, bull or cow crap smells like crap once it gets wet no matter how well it's been composted.
    I've been lagging this year, I haven't even till in the Alfalfa bails that I used to cover my soil last fall.
    My back has been a mess, I'll get to it when I can. I'm going pretty light this year.
    I say that every year.:l:l:l
    Goot luck!:tu

7. callinfowl

LOL, I made the same mistake a few years ago, with composted horse crap.:l
    It was my worse growing season ever, way to much nitrogen.:yes:yes:yes
    Make sure you add plenty of calcium.:tu

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I guess I've just gotten lucky then; I use it every year and have never noticed more than a very faint smell. Got about 10 bags mixed in out there now and you'd never know it.

9. callinfowl

Store bought manure has been chemically treated to reduce the threat of mold and bacteria.
    The good thing is it kills off a lot of the mold and bacteria that causes the stink.
    The bad part is it also kills off most of the beneficial mold and bacteria. :yes:tu
    The difference is most likely farm fresh vs processed poop. :l

10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Could be. I've got plenty of homegrown composted leaves/grass/etc in there to though.