2018 Migration Reports

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Mack Molloy, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Truman

Truman Refuge Member

The hardest thing for me is to convenience our club members that planting corn sounds like a great attraction. However, if you do not set aside refuge acres or let the unit rest, the ducks will get shot out pretty quickly. Most of our members are not dedicated enough to stay out of a refuge or let an area rest while the birds start using it. Moist soil management on the other hand is natural and definitely a lot cheaper than planting corn.[/QUOTE]

Mack you said it with having discipline on letting your place rest. We have a small piece that normally has two hunting spots. That is reduced to one when the birds are using the other end of the field. If cold air is forecast maybe no hunting at all for a few days hoping birds will keep pools open.

I agree that it doesn't make sense on going over board with the row cropping on WRP's....A little bit of google earth history images will tell the story from year to year.

2. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

I'd be putting the maximum allotment of row crop if I had a WRP property. Even if you're members are undisciplined regarding pressure management, an additional food source could be the difference maker on certain days.

3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

My NRCS guy checks ours every year. He said we could plant 8 acres of corn, just how in the he!! can you hunt 80 acres with 8 acres of corn.

4. Guthook

Guthook Senior Refuge Member

It should be understood that you can't plant 8 consecutive acres either, gotta space them out in 1/2 acres..... it's messed up. Their was a cutoff one year where it went from 10% of acreage to 5% like in 2005 or something. What a lot of folks looking in don't understand is the ground met requirements to become WRP because it flooded a lot and with that fact it's not always easy to grow corn because of the high risk of flooding. It's a lot of work to put in an acre of corn, moving equipment, managing the feed, weeds only to have it flood and die. Coons are another factor in a small plot...ate my ears in a couple 1/2 acre plots right when they came on. We kill more deer than ducks anymore on our place. :l:l

i_willie12 and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  5. southfork

southfork New Member

Former baseball player( must have been a shortstop)becomes one of the biggest short stoppers of ducks. Along with Missouri refuge system. You boys in south zone feel left out?

6. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

What's to stop someone from short stopping ducks further up the flyway? Not much IMO. Plus you think all the clubs on the East Side aren't short stopping ducks the same way? It's all in the game. I just wish the public land areas weren't doing it too. Too many refuges! The ducks can take refuge on federal refuges enough as it is. If Arkie blasts em too much maybe Louisiana will get more, or maybe they'll fly back north.

feetdown71 likes this.
  7. BlackLegendGauge

BlackLegendGauge New Member

I disagree 100% that it’s refuges that have bothered anyone’s duck hunting.

Besides the fact of safety, why would a duck want to spend its time at a refuge? I personally have yet to see a refuge that is loaded up with food. Believe it or not, MDC wants you to kill stuff. It’s how they get paid.

Overcrowding and overhunting are by far the reasons why the ducks stay safe and stay stale. Every available pothole is hunted from sun up to sun down who knows how many days of the week and it’s the refuges fault.

If MDC doesnt put a shell limit, time limit, days off or anything like AR does it will only get worse.

The only time we have a slight edge on these birds is when they think with their bellies. And by that time your potholes matter very little.

8. cam

cam Elite Refuge Member

you drink early on Fridays don't you

9. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

Your entire post is full of misinformation. You've either never been to a Missouri conservation area or you're trolling. The CAs are very well managed for overcrowding and overhunting with draw systems. If you don't think refuges are loaded with food, I suggest you actually visit one of the waterfowl managed draw areas and you'll see you're wrong.

Duckman Racing, i_willie12 and Truman like this.
  10. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Mingo NWR is a very good example this year. Had an area farmer come in and plant corn this year. They also claim to have a bumper crop of millet. When you drive through there, they’re all in the corn and have been for nearly a month. Acres and acres of 150 bpa corn for them to feast on. Hunters on DC less than a half mile away aren’t killing squat. DC had a couple field of corn but, they never hit it with nitrogen so, stalks but virtually no ears.

QakQak73 and 3labman like this.