2018 RNT Daisy Cutter

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Smirk, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Smirk

Smirk Senior Refuge Member

Could I get a review from someone who owns one? Is RNT tuning them more like the OSDC?
    Difficult for me to find one to try .....thought I would ask. thanks

2. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Tuned like any other DC.
    Toneboard supposedly changed again,have not read any mention of them being tuned to the OSDC of yesteryear.

3. Greenhead Rocker

Greenhead Rocker Elite Refuge Member

I think that they are supposed to be more like the older models. Which toneboard exactly, I don’t know. They just said they were going to make them operate and sound more like the older ones. I haven’t tried one so I can’t say how they actually do operate/run.

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Not sure that's meant much more than deeper dog-eared reeds in recent editions.

5. Smirk

Smirk Senior Refuge Member

It takes more than a dog eared reed for them to run like the old ones. The tone board would have to be changed. I should't have used the word" tuned". I've read RNT description for 2018. Has anyone blown one?

6. wescott2

wescott2 Senior Refuge Member

I got 1 of the first ones released that were clear with scrimshaw. I like it. It's really an improved version than recent year's models. More like my half scroll but a little smoother running. Raspy bottom with a good ring on top but not too highly pitched.

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

My half-scroll ran like a dump truck and was bad for locking on quiet clucks and chucks. Doubt they could bring back that call's uniquely harsh tone, without bringing back its shortcomings as well. So I'd also be interested in hearing a side-by-side comparison.

(Ducks didn't find that tone as special as I did, but I ended up running the call a lot prior the season just to make what I hunt with feel even more nimble. Much like running on hard ground after training in sand. Have worked more curve into a newer one's toneboard to much the same effect and purpose, but can't say I've recaptured as much Janis Joplin as I recall in the half-scroll.)

8. Paul Tidwell

Paul Tidwell New Member

I picked up one in Kingwood several months ago, and I have been very pleased with it.

I owned a chartreuse OSDC back in 05' before I really knew how to run it, and I literally gave it away in 2011 (one of the dumbest things I've done apparently). Best I can recall, performance is very similar.

I also own a black acrylic 40th, which I also like... But by comparison, it has a cleaner/brighter sound and wants to ring a little more on the top end. The 18' clucks and chatters with ease and growls all the way to the top. It is the reigning favorite among my fleet, since I bought it in September.

Attached Files:

9. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

10. mallardhunter

mallardhunter Senior Refuge Member

I probably have a 2016 or 2017 daisycutter. Loud and raspy. Just like I like! It's my go-to call in the woods or whenever the wind is blowing hard.