2018 Season Opener...how'd it treat ya?

Discussion in 'Mississippi Flyway Forum' started by lucky_man, Nov 26, 2018.

1. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

Ya'll do any good this weekend? We killed a few in the hills this weekend mostly woodies, didn't make it over to the flat land. Planning on heading back down to the delta Friday.

2. lucky_man

lucky_man Senior Refuge Member

I had to work Saturday, but the Wife and I went Sunday. Few short of 2 limits. Were set up a little wrong first thing in the morning and couldn't tell cover was sketchy till daylight. Moved to better cover and had them start coming in stronger instead of skirting. All in all a good morning. Nov2018 174.JPG

3. duck dawg

4. John Wilson

John Wilson New Member

5. lucky_man

lucky_man Senior Refuge Member

Well, this blows. Thought the cold/ice/snow that was going to hit north of us would give us a push for this weekend. Nothing. So much water has what ducks are here are scattered, but for the whole weekend we got 1 wood duck. That's correct; I didn't forget to put the zero at the end to make it ten. We got one duck for the whole weekend. Had some work Sunday, but was greedy and didn't call the shot hoping more would decoy in. It always takes one big flight once a year to remind me of the saying that "a bird in hand is better than two in the bush". Those couple of sure thing ducks we could have had were looking great at the end of the day. But it was better than sitting at home eating Cheetos in my drawers. Sticking with the same routine, it is sunny, cold, with a nice wind blowing today, and I'm sure ducks landing in the exact spot I had decoys yesterday. I can't prove it, but I know it's happening.

6. duck dawg

It's proven to be a challenging season so far. I thought the same about the weather up north but guess that was wishful thinking. The amount of water definitely has the few ducks here spread out and hard to target. It raining all day Saturday didn't help at all. Hoping for better days to come.

Rebranger likes this.
  7. John Wilson

John Wilson New Member

Looked at aerial survey reports. Some of the lowest numbers in five years. With majority of birds located near panola county. Not an expert on ducks in Mississippi but didn’t think there was a ton of spots in panola county.

Rebranger likes this.
  8. Rebranger

Rebranger New Member

You got Sardis Lake & the bottoms down river.

9. John Wilson

John Wilson New Member

True but times are hard if that’s the largest concentration in the state

10. John Wilson

John Wilson New Member

Have been receiving better reports out of Arkansas so they might be on the way.