Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

2018 SK conditions

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by theduckguru, Mar 26, 2018.

1. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

For 2018. Besides being very dry going into winter,and no snow until recently, India has slapped a 50% tariff on Canadian peas and farmers are expected to reduce pea production by 1/3rd.

Good hunting.

2. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

As much as peas are goose / duck crack candy,,, I much prefer hunting barley to peas from late September into October,,,, By that time, the birds can be shot several times on some pea fields and they can become quite wary coming into peas. In addition, freshly sprouting barley greens seem to hold the birds better than eaten out weathered peas and the barley stubble makes for better hides.

Feed barley prices are strong right now,,, barley acres are projected to see a pretty big increase this year!

PS.... FWIW, I have grown 100- 800 acres per year of peas since 1991 on my farm...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  3. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

4. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

Noticed the above article on SK was dated September 13. Talked to a farmer in Quill Lake area last week. He said they had a two foot snowfall last week.

DaPutts likes this.
  5. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Do you mean March 13? Yes there has been more snow across Western Canada since then. Some areas will see significant runoff this spring.

http://www.mdtaber.ab.ca/AlertCenter.aspx?AID=Local-State-of-Emergency-Overland-Draina-9

Taber is Southern Alberta in the chinook belt ,,, hence the alert now,,,,, but we will probably see a lot more overland flood warnings as we get into April and it starts warming up across the prairies.

6. theduckguru

theduckguru Elite Refuge Member

I agree with your asssessment for AB, but farther east canola seems to be the selection rather than barley.

Are you expecting much runoff in your area?

7. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Alberta does grow more barley and less peas than Sask,,,, but malt barley acres in Sask have run in the 2.1 - 2.2 million acres annually in the past 2 years while pea acres were around 1.9 million acres. You can add another 25% to the barley acres if you count barley varieties specifically grown for feed (silage or grain). Where do you typically hunt? You will see more barley grown in western Sask vs eastern Sask.

Strong feed prices tend to support barley acreages. Most farmers will seed a malt variety hoping for a malting grade as malt prices are usually stronger,,, but with these strong feed prices, there isn't much penalty if the crop does not go malt. And this spring, even feed barley pencils in very well compared to peas or other cereals.

With all the late snow and currently cold temps forecast to last well into April, it could be a much later start to seeding in many areas, Barley needs less days to maturity than either wheat or canola.

Canola rotations are getting pretty tight and maxed out. Some farmers will be looking for crops to break that canola / wheat / canola rotation and these are typically the guys who wouldn't grow peas in the first place.

As far as where I sit in East central Alberta, we will likely have an above average runoff as we were still somewhat "wet" coming into winter so our soil's ability to absorb snow melt is limited.

8. fowlogic

fowlogic Senior Refuge Member

870, seems like most farmers don't have a lot of time or the inclination to hunt. You not only live and farm in God's country, but are you able to enjoy nature's bounty too!

9. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Fowlogic,,, I like to think we are in God's country alright!!!!

I was fortunate enough to have been born a farm boy growing up with a shotgun in my hand wandering through grouse filled woods and sloughs full of ducks,,, left the farm for nearly 20 years but you couldn't take the farm / hunter out of the boy,,, so I went back in 1991 and have been there ever since!!!

10. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

Well into April . . . how are things looking now?