2018 waterfowl regs

Discussion in 'Kansas Flyway Forum' started by Tuleman, Mar 22, 2018.

1. waterfowlhunter27

waterfowlhunter27 Refuge Member

you can only shoot 3 wood ducks...

2. Billboard Man

Billboard Man Senior Refuge Member

I hope you made the six wood duck limit in jest. If the USFWS is basing their entire season on numbers of mallards, with little regard to other species----yes there is some time given to canvasback, pintail, and scaup because of their numbers falling under long term average---it would make for simplified regulations for two of each for aggregate of 6. I have said many times, the USFWS is not going to change anything--season length, bag limits etc. They want the duck stamp sales even as they continue to decline over last 20 years. 19,000 wings, and a few surveys, to determine the kill ratios on an average of 2.6 million ducks killed in the Central Flyway seems like poor management. If I had not noted historic lows, in my hunting lifetime, of non-mallard species I have seen over last five seasons I would think nothing of it. Strange years happen from time to time, but a trend is three years and now five years makes me question things. All goes back to mallards, if the population is so high why are we not allowed to shoot six drakes per day in every flyway? Why not 7 like the Pacific? We can shoot six Canadas, 8 in other parts of Central Flyway. The fact that in most years many of us can scout enough at Cheyenne Bottoms to shoot a limit of six gadwall or six wigeon is not an indicator for good populations. When I talk and hunt with people who have hunted same area since 1950s and start to comment about seeing a 100 redheads a day, and now seeing 10 in a season for last five years, or hundreds of gadwalls per day to seeing a hundred or less in season----for five seasons. Some think they moved to eastern Kansas, non-mallard numbers are worse here than the middle of the state.

You are not the only person that go find an unhunted area of Cheyenne Bottoms and have great hunting. I lived there for 10 years and did it, but that does not mean bird populations are good.

3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

No, you've been doing it right.
    I blew it on that one. :doh

4. Tuleman

I'm not basing my opinion on what I see/shoot. I'm basing it on FWS numbers.
    Only species in trouble are cans, 'bills, and sprig.
    You could include blacks in that group, but there are so few of them shot each year that you could put the limit at 10 of those and not hurt the population.

5. Billboard Man

Billboard Man Senior Refuge Member

USFWS service and their data collection not going to change.

USFWS shows following: stable to increasing duck hunting numbers ( thanks Tuleman for the reminder ), a season forecast table buried in Liberal ( thanks for sharing KSRedLeg), declining number of duck hunters hunting fewer days and killing fewer birds. My limit sounds crazy at 6 drake mallards or aggregate of 6 ducks with no more than 2 of each species. However, with the USFWS data the season for regular ducks in Kansas should open first Saturday in October and close last Sunday in January----STATEWIDE. Teal season should run first Saturday in September to last Sunday in September bag limit of 6. States to the north would open earlier, and to the south be same as Kansas. This would ease overcrowding in zones, thanks Marshwalker. It would also end the bickering about season dates and who wants to hunt when it is 60 or -6---we all do it. If USFWS wants to stabilize duck stamp sales---this plan might do it.

6. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

Any of you boys headed to Chanute on the 26th to argue for changes in the duck and goose seasons?? Amazing how early they set seasons these days.

"The afternoon session will begin with a report on the agency and state fiscal status and an update on the 2018 Kansas legislative session. The Commission will then hear General Discussion items to include a Tourism Division update, and regulations updates from the Parks and Fisheries divisions. The Workshop Session will follow and include discussions on webless migratory birds, deer seasons on Fort Riley, public lands regulations, elk management units, and coast guard navigation rules.

The evening session will convene at 6:30 p.m. for a Public Hearing, at which time the Commission will vote on the 2018-2019 seasons for antelope, elk, and waterfowl."

http://ksoutdoors.com/KDWPT-Info/Ne...-Commission-To-Hold-Public-Meeting-in-Chanute

7. waterfowlhunter27

waterfowlhunter27 Refuge Member

I wish they would start the early zone a week later and get rid of the split in december!!!

Marshwalker and Ramblingman like this.
  8. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

This!!!!!!!!!

waterfowlhunter27 likes this.
  9. Tuleman

Not me.
    Nothing wrong with the split, and if it means starting the season earlier, then I'm all for it.

10. gadwall52

gadwall52 Elite Refuge Member

Yeah but you live 5 minutes from the one place in kansas that always has ducks. Those first weeks of the season aren't wasted for you like most of the zone.