2018 Waterfowl Season Set

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Mack Molloy, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

MDC could’ve bought tens of thousands of acres in areas of the bootheel. There’s was alot of unfarmable land on the Black, St. Francis, Castor, Floodway, and Mississippi Rivers. The Diversion Channel which runs from Zalma to Cape Girardeau, would have been an ideal acquisition for waterfowl. Probably the wealthiest entity in the state with no desire to expand. All I hear is, we need more young folks into the sport. If we were getting more land then that would be legitimate but you can get to many hunters for the amount of public land you have.

2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

MDC says they do all they can to encourage young hunters, which I think they do quite a bit. Thing is the biggest issue many people have these days is access to hunting land, which again Missouri is a lot better than most states but it could be better if MDC wanted it to be.
    For young people today it's tough, when I started out (yeah I know back in the stone age) you could have everything you needed to go duck hunting for a $500 investment, now you can hardly buy a decent gun for that much. Why should anybody put in the kind of time and money it takes today to hunt if they have to fight for access everywhere they go, think that's one of the main reasons more young people are not getting into duck hunting or hunting of any type these days.

3. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

I think this is a valid point but I also think a lot has changed with the youngsters. We did not have cell phones or video games to distract us...Hunting, Fishing, Sports, etc. was what we did for fun. Also, the new generation wants it all right now and would never consider working and saving money to buy a membership in a private club or waterfowl gear to hunt public areas.

sgt duck likes this.
  4. Sunklands

Other than my own boys, who are being raised differently, I’d just asoon all the young generation stay at home or in town, glued to their games and phones. If they do that then maybe there won’t be as many folks at public areas. Bottom line is there’s to many pigs for the t!t$

dux/24 7 likes this.
  5. Sunklands

If they’d rewrite the rules and give me till 30 minutes after sunset, then my yearly totals would have a significant increase.

cride1 likes this.
  6. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Nah, they would quickly adjust and come out 31 minutes after

10GAGENUT, sgt duck and Sunklands like this.
  7. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Just like the ducks that roost all night 30 yards from your blind then somehow lift off 5 minutes before legal shooting time !!!

hannibal likes this.
  8. Iowa

Iowa Refuge Member

I'm not sure what the answer is for new hunters to the sport. Seems like my generation (millennials) are less likely to even try the sport if they weren't in it as a kid. IMO its up to the Fathers & Grandfathers of the nation. Take the younger generations as much as you can, hopefully they catch the bug.

9. Sunklands

Probably won’t see many, if any millennials where I do most of my hunting, cause cell telephone service is very sketchy and internet is non existent;)

wakenda, 10GAGENUT and QuaaackerJack like this.