Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

2019 Conservation Season Snow Goose Reports

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by KEN, Jan 31, 2019.

1. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

Same as I posted on huntingsnows.....

Buddy and I were out in north central MO from Saturday to Monday, hunting Sunday PM to Monday PM. We chose to scout Saturday to avoid the thunderstorms and see what shaped up. Rain stopped around noon and it appeared the birds had slept in for the rain as good flights and feeds started. Driving separate vehicles we covered a lot of ground and found some prospects. The birds fed for a bit then headed back to the roost, which we followed them to and watched impressive numbers build up, I'd say 100K easy but I am poor at judgement when numbers get that large. Good numbers came from the north Saturday afternoon. We expected to hit the snowline staged birds, and we believe these were them.

That evening most birds went south building into two mega feeds, repeating the traffic paths and one of the feeds I'd seen at noon. Struggled to get permission, with 3 rejections and one walk-in only permission on an adjacent field. We decided a walk-in field next to a mega feed wasn't our highest hope, so we decided to continue the scout Sunday morning and would take the walk-in at lunch if nothing else materialized. Sunday morning brought endless waves of what appeared to be migrators from the southeast going northwest, with neither of the two mega feeds repeating and no southward traffic. I think our birds migrated out, and we saw new ones coming. Nonetheless, we ventured further out and found another big roost and birds bouncing in fields all around it and secured permission nearby...and thankfully with ATV access! We chose this and were setup by about 1PM. During setup, some young guys came by who claimed to have been decoy hunting for two weeks and were tired of being ignored with poor results, so they were gonna jump the roost. They did so while we were parking the trucks and sent the cloud scattering, none of which looked at our decoys.

We continued to see impressive numbers Sunday evening, and couldn't tell if birds were migrators or not as there was traffic from all directions. We had a group of 5 work and killed 2 ross and a snow, and then a single snow came in with the evening feed of specks and we got him. We had one other single and a pair work that wouldn't center and didn't shoot, although we should have been able to knock them down if we'd tried. We were largely ignored by any large and high groups of birds, and we started counting "turns" and "looks" on the scoreboard, LOL. Some birds came back to the roost in the dark, but it didn't appear as many and we weren't competing with any birds on feeds or the roost during the hunt.

Monday was mostly calm and sunny. The morning feed went out quite early and ignored us largely. We had a pair of blues, 2 single blues, and a single snow work and killed 4 of those. They worked very well and in range, with the one single landing long. Midday got quite slow, but there were migrators going SE to NW every hour or so, with almost no interest. A few turned and maybe gave a half spin, but didn't lose any altitude and kept going. The evening feed still had thousands of birds, but many fewer than the prior two days. They also largely ignored us.

So, the birdwatching was great and we ended with 8 over two days. 900 socks, no flyers, long flags, and hiding in whites. Mostly indifference from the birds. We weren't surprised at the results based on the year and being near the front edge, but perhaps expected more to at least look even if they wouldn't finish. The few that looked finished well.

So we're going to take a little time off and hope for some later birds to arrive that are perhaps nicer. We saw 100K snows at least, many thousand specks, ducks, swan, honkers, pelicans, etc. This morning there were small groups of ducks and honkers migrating up the Miss river.

Birdsgalore and snipe n like this.
  2. kansasgoose

kansasgoose Senior Refuge Member

Mud is kansas is about 6-8 inches deep now. Lots of rain state wide today. Its bad enough here I saw someone stuck in their driveway today, wheels still in the driveway. Birds or not, its going too be tough hunting here. Good news is sunny weather is in the forecast for the next week. Seagulls have shown up in my area, that normally means the end is near.

3. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

We had 3" of slop mud on top of frost this past weekend. Frost saved us as it allowed us to drive ATV in a bit, the walking was a mess as you had very little traction just sliding all over. And of course we were laying in it .... in waders.

CNWD likes this.
  4. Birdsgalore

Birdsgalore New Member

Yippee!
    They are officially in the area finally. Seen many flocks starting around 3 going different directions, and then towards evening everything was heading back SW. Seen enough birds to make it worth setting decoys out and trying. Gonna be tough going though with all the fields flooded and strong winds forecasted.

5. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

Are you guys getting any of that snow?

6. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Birds are going to have a straight shot into Southeastern South Dakota as soon as this storm clears and as the week goes on the temps warm so they're going to be able to slowly trickle North. With the heavy snowpack on the ground as that melts its going to make sheet water all over the damn place for the birds to use.

ROBERT Pettit likes this.
  7. YanktonSquid

YanktonSquid Senior Refuge Member

With all the massive flooding going on in the SE part of the state, its going to make hunting extremely hard the next week or so. Might need to bring the boats :)

8. Birdsgalore

Birdsgalore New Member

No on the snow. Severe flooding though up here going on. Seen 2 feeds today both around about 1000 birds each only. Word is they are loading up over by Utica and west as of now. By weekend I'm expecting a large push with temps of 50° coming

9. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

This will be interesting the flooding will definitely punch a hole through part of the snowpack that they normally wouldn't be able to get through although they eventually will run out of space somewhere north of the 90. But that sun has some serious strength behind her now and even up here where it was barely over freezing yet the snow was melting fast. Which was interesting since the interstate was closed due to a blizzard got to love the crazy weather up her in the dakotas.

Neck Collar likes this.
  10. hunting1

hunting1 Senior Refuge Member

I'm a bit sad as I sit here in the last few minutes in my spread before I leave and get ready to come back tomorrow to pack it all up. It's been a birdless sky almost all day and for me in my neck of the woods the season is over. But what a season. I ended the day on a good note with 6. Yesterday I scratched out 4. I had a lot of fun, some great hunting and enjoyed a lot of different aspects of it. I owe thanks to a lot of people that helped me either physically or with tips and tricks. Also the Lord above and a few people I know that are watching over me. I plan on going north in a couple of weeks and trying to get in a few more last hunts in with some people I know. I'm wishing the best to everyone on this snow goose venture that we all love so much. Good hunting, good luck, be safe and hopefully have some memories of a lifetime.

mr89ia and GK1 like this.