.22 sniper??

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by FOWLER267, Sep 26, 2005.

1. FOWLER267

FOWLER267 Guest

I have always wanted to learn to take the long shot with a rifle... I would like to be able to hit a target at 6-800 yds but that kind of gear tends to get expensive.

That got me to thinking about using a 22 rifle to simulate the long shot with something in the 22 size scale and budget. In other words; if you could learn to hit with a 22 at say 150-200 yds; you would be getting equivilant experience at a fraction of the cost...

That being said; Whats the longest shot you have hit with a 22??? Mine is probably 60yds on a crow...

2. FroMan

FroMan Senior Refuge Member

Flint Hills Kansas & Arkansas River Valley
    Never heard of a .22 making a 600 yard shot. My dad uses his .300 mag to make his.

3. Diver Dan

Diver Dan Elite Refuge Member

Try the new .17 cal. It'll make those shots for you and shoot completely flat. Made by Savage and really cheap. I shot one in the Dakotas and now own one myself. Check'm out. I sighted mine in at 100 yds. Can't see much farther than that any more, but they say they shoot out to 200 to 300 with no problems. Dan

4. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I once dropped a pretty good size buck at 225 stepped off yards with a 22 magnum, shooting offhand.
    I do not recommend anyone trying that with a .22 though.
    We cut open the deer and the bullet went in the neck and impacted the spinal cord between two vertebrae.

It was by far the best shot I ever made with a .22

5. HIGHBALLS

HIGHBALLS Elite Refuge Member

A .17 is an awesome weapon, but ANY wind will make a huge difference in accuracy, especially at anything over 300yds. I've had boogers that weighed more than a .17 bullet! ;)

There are a bunch of wildcat cartridges out there other than the .17, that'll shoot at long ranges, but the guns, reloading equipment, etc., ain't cheap!

A regular old .22 isn't going to make the LONG shot, but, as stated above, a .22 Magnum will reach out there. That's probably the best caliber for your purpose.

HIGHBALLS

6. Black Cloud

Black Cloud Elite Refuge Member

.220 Swift or a .22-250 would be a good choice for long-range target shooting, but you won't see any cost efficiency there. You can find a lot of surplus .223 and .308 ammo everywhere, and you can get a Savage 10FP tactical rifle pretty cheap. The .308 will reach out to those ranges, and it won't eat a barrel up as fast.

7. Duck Lorange

Duck Lorange Elite Refuge Member

Read the question guy´s!!

Yes you can practice with a 22 LR for long range shooting, when you can say that you can consistently shoot 2" or less groups out of a 22 at 100 yards and shoot 1/4" groups with the same gun at 50 yards, you should be able to take it to the next level, which would be a Long range centerfire rifle.

Go to your local range and get some sound advice from the long range gunners there, if you are going to be using your experience for hunting then steer clear of the 300+ yards Bench Rest guy´s, they will make you more confused than enlightened and their rigs are as far away from the hunting part of this as possible.

Good Luck!

D.L.

8. kwsmith

kwsmith Elite Refuge Member

use a .22 to learn and practice the mechanics of marksmanship- breath control, trigger control, positons, holds, sight alignment, etc.

but when it comes to long range shooting, i doubt if trying to scale things down to .22 size, and then scale them back up to real-world size, will work very well.

use the .22 to get yourself to where you can bring your groups down really tight at short range, then get something like a .308, 300 mag, 7mm, or 30-06 for real world long distance shooting.

a reasonably-well performing rifle doesn't necessarily have to cost an arm and a leg. something as simple/cheap as a remington mod 700 that's been tuned-up/smoothed up a bit could be expected to get you reasonable hunting accuracy out to at least 500 yards, and likely further. may not win many target-shooting contests, and for sure won't compete with a bench rest rifle. but, if you'll take the trouble to learn to shoot it, and use good ammo, it should be good enough to bring home the bacon.

9. Camohead

Camohead Senior Refuge Member

FOWLER, if you looking at becoming a better shot, buy a pellet gun. You can get a decent one for the price of a couple boxes of 22-250 rounds. I killed a starling at the 100yd range one time with my daisy pnuematic .177 cal. I truely believe shooting that pellet gun made me a better shot and it decreased the time it took to shoulder, and line up the sights. Their relatively quiet and fairly consistant.

If it's accuracy your looking for, start reading and figure out how much you want to spend for a tight group. It's pretty much endless. :eek:

CH

10. buck_jackson75

buck_jackson75 Senior Refuge Member

Have you considered a .204, I have the savage with the sweet acu-trigger. I have made a 409 yd shot on a blue heron. It just takes a lot of practice. I shoot coke cans all the time at +300yds. Fill them up with water an boom!