Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

30-06 capabilities...

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by olepal, Jun 13, 2018.

1. olepal

olepal Elite Refuge Member

Just looking for a few, understand - A FEW - thoughts on my 30-06. I am not a great prolific hunter but every whitetail deer I have shot at, died. Now, I MAY have an opportunity to go after a mulie or perhaps even an elk next year.
    All I have ever used is Remington Core-lokt 150gr sp or 165gr sp. Thoughts on that or maybe 180gr against the mulie or elk?

Thanks guys,

olepal

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

The 165's are fine on mule deer. If you are going on a combined hunt, where your choice is whatever you see first (thus needing a gun loaded for both) definitely go with the 180's.

I probably killed 20 mule deer shooting 150's. All that I can recall dropped right there. Shot my largest while he was in his bed at about 300+ yards, and he never even stood up.

olepal likes this.
  3. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Hunted in RSA several times. Was told there that the 30-06 was fine for most game up to an eland. I took a fine bull kudu with a 30-06 and 180 gr. bullet. Used primarily a loaned Ruger single shot, also in other calibers, but the 30-06 was the workhorse. A great rifle- I have only one now, a Rem 700, and yes, in 30-06. In the lighter bullets, successfully took, warthog, impala, bushbuck, blesbuck.

olepal likes this.
  4. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Elk are tough critters that can go for miles, wounded. It's like anything else though - shot placement and it's dead. Dad never owned anything bigger than a 30-06 and killed elk, moose, antelope, deer and bear with it. I'd say your 180's should do great for both of what you asked about.

olepal likes this.
  5. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Get within 300 yards and make a good shoot. The elk/mule deer won't know what type of 30-06 bullet killed them.

Brottboss, Billy Bob and olepal like this.
  6. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

As @markd has pointed out - it's all about shot placement. Right thru the vitals - heart/lungs...

A 180 grain should do it for an elk w/ good shot placement. Sight in and note drop @ 100 yards - 200 yards - 300 yards...

Remember: Happiness Is An Exit Wound!

olepal likes this.
  7. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

Federal has a 200 gr in a Trophy Bonded Bear Claw for 30-06. They hold together and make a nice mushroom - they don't break apart like Nosler particians are know to...

olepal likes this.
  8. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Nothing wrong with the old 06 for elk. Seems the 30 caliber likes the 165-168. If 180's work well in your gun, I'd probably go that route.

olepal likes this.
  9. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Concerning capabilities, do folks remember the Accelerator ammo that fire a 223 bullet in a sabot through a 30/06. I still see it for sale from private sellers now and then.

If I was looking at ammo for 30/06 for hunting big game, I would include trying out some Barnes, or Hornady ELD on paper to see if your rifle likes it.

Vahunter and olepal like this.
  10. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Senior Refuge Member

My memory is that those accelerators were listed at 4,000+ fps. LOL. Never shot any....