.357 Magnum vs .44 Magnum

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Luigi Daniele, May 24, 2018.

.44 or .357?

1. .357

46 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. .44

19 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

There's a chart of actual shootings out in the Internuts that shows caliber and one shot stops. If memory serves me correctly the .44 Mag was around the mid-range.

The 125 gr. Remington .357Mag and the 230 gr Federal 45ACP Hydroshock top the list. Again...all memory caveats apply.

I'll try and find it...later.

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  2. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

One I never owned but wish I did, personally I think the .41 magnum is one of the most underrated pistol rounds ever produced.
    Why it never took off is beyond me, more knockdown than a .357 and more controllable than a .44 I just can't see why they never made it, maybe Elmer Keith didn't own one...:l

Luigi Daniele and OneShotBandit like this.
  3. 10GAGENUT

I shot a whitetail at around 45 yards with 125 grain Hornady XTP at 1800 fps, deer rolled 3 times after I hit it and never got back up if that tells you anything.

4. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

A deer is a pretty good estimation of human body thickness and anatomy.

If that was a Missouri deer it was a far lot larger than our Texas Hill Country deer...fo sure.

Did you by any chance recover the bullet? XTP's don't seem to have a very good reputation for expansion. Not dissin your load...just wondering what your results were...if known. :tu

5. 10GAGENUT

As I remember I couldn't find anything, bullet must have hit bone or disintegrated. I didn't care happy hunter, dead deer can't ask for much better than that. There's two types of XTP bullets, one has a more open frontal area and the other is more of hollow point flat nose type, both have different expansion capabilities.

Luigi Daniele and Bear like this.
  6. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Didn't know that about the XTPs...Thanks.

Your load at 1800 fps is generating ~900 ft/lbs.

7. 10GAGENUT

Here's the flat point and regular point XTP's, flat point I use in fast hunting loads.
    xtp+05[1].jpg

Luigi Daniele and Bear like this.
  8. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

44 Mag is a little better than mid-range with most loads.

The chart requires a membership to the site so it's not available to link.

9. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

I will admit I am not on top of the latest in ballistics. These new hi-tech bullets and loadings, I am not current. But back in the day, the .357 was the most effective handgun you could use for self-defense against bad hominids. It was closely followed by the 45ACP and the .38 Spl rounded it up at 3rd. The 44 Mag was a relatively poor performer due to it's extremely high velocity. It punched through the target, not creating a effective wound cavity. Exactly why the 9mm was such a poor performer, back in the day.

Against large, dangerous game it would be a different story. Against bears for instance, the 44 Mag was very effective.

But I don't know that to still be true. I don't know how ballistics stand between the .40 S&W, the .357 Sig or any number of new chamberings or new high tech bullets that have changed the landscape.

But if I were going to choose, it would be the . 357 Mag. It's proven track record is one to be acknowledged.

10. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I had a Ruger Redhawk .44 mag, it was not fun to shoot, loud and heavy recoil. I traded it and got an AR-15.

OneShotBandit, Bear and Luigi Daniele like this.