.357 Magnum vs .44 Magnum

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Luigi Daniele, May 24, 2018.

.44 or .357?

1. .357

47 vote(s)
    71.2%
  2. .44

19 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

That's what I take hog hunting. I voted 44. I'm not a good shot with a handgun, but I can hit a milk jug almost every time at 50 yds with my s&w with iron sights. . For practice, I shoot 44 specials.

Ammo makes a big difference.

2. cast&blast

cast&blast Elite Refuge Member

I emptied the clip on a desert eagle 44 mag. as fast as I could pull the trigger. I think if it had held just one more round I’d have fallen over backwards. I just didn’t have a use for it. Wouldn’t mind having a .44 carbine though.

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  3. Damian Wiening

Damian Wiening Elite Refuge Member

A 1976 era S&W Combat Model 66 stainless, sweet trigger and oh so on target, it was my Dad's service revolver, at least his last and a thing of beauty.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

My grandpa had a 10" barrel .357; first time I shot it I was scared to death but that long barrel and the .38 spl loads made it a great shooting gun--I could dance a milk jug all day long with that sucker. Loved shooting that gun.

Luigi Daniele and widgeon like this.
  5. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I once had a really mad sow come after me. I shot it at about 10 feet with my 44. Didn't even feel the recoil.

I remember when the 357 came out. It was supposed to be able to crack engine blocks. Everybody wanted one in case the need arose.

6. Damian Wiening

Damian Wiening Elite Refuge Member

My dad worked as a part time patrol officer in Illinois, one night he came home after a shift with a story of a fleeing robber in his company work truck, yes his companies truck, the Chicago PD was chasing him into his area and as they rounded the corner into it an CPD officer fired many rounds into the trucks door on the turn, no penetration from these shots at all, if I am correct it was not long after the officers made a purchase of the S&W 66.

He is on the right,

120115010001.jpg

widgeon and Luigi Daniele like this.
  7. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I remember one day at the range (I was all alone) I did the one hand "Dirty Harry" on a target about 15 yds out and Guys I was all over the place!!!! :l :l :l :l With the two hand hold the big 29 was actually quite accurate.

8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I have a model 19 6" barrel. Little big. I worked grocery going to JC and after robbery/murder of couple clerks 15 minute north and nobody caught, several of us that worked closing carried even though against policy. Usually if I was on the register, it was in the junk drawer right under my counter. It was an eclectic group of guns - derringers to wheels, the head clerk pocket carried or kept it in the safe. Had to hide them from security

OneShotBandit and Luigi Daniele like this.
  9. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

.... me too, if I hadn't dipped out into the parking lot she would have caught me.

I am surprised, I thought all the hard guys on here would vote for the 44 far and away. I love my GP100 6" 357. Load it with 38's or 180 gr hard cast Buffalo Bore. Pretty darn versatile.

widgeon and Luigi Daniele like this.
  10. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I've shot a 357 several times, never owned anything bigger than a 45 though.

I am considering a 44 though for bear defense. I spend 2 weeks or so every fall out west and the area I elk and deer hunt has an increasing population of grizzlies. I saw zero last year but the year before, in the same general area, saw two grizz. Multiple sightings reported too.

So, in researching, came across this piece. Pretty interesting reading and has me thinking that maybe I don't need to upgrade to a 44?

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/de...s-rate-37-incidents-by-caliber/#axzz5GXIwUmMp