.357 Magnum vs .44 Magnum

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Luigi Daniele, May 24, 2018.

.44 or .357?

1. .357

46 vote(s)
    70.8%
  2. .44

19 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

If home defense is your primary use, then the .357 with a 4 inch barrel is the way to go. If you intend to use it for concealed carry, then I would go with a .38 Spl. with a 2 inch barrel. If you are considering a CCW permit, I would go with the .38 Spl. It is a very effective round and has probably put more bad hombres on the ground that any other caliber. You can actually shoot .38 Spl in your .357, but not vice-versa if you decided to go with a .357 with a 2 inch barrel for both home and concealed. Bear in mind, a .357 with a 2 inch barrel is a fire-breathing dragon.

There is one irrefutable truth about a wheel gun, they always work. Semi-autos on the other hand require practice and constant maintenance.

If you ever watch footage of gangbangers or street hoods shooting their guns, you almost always see them fire one round and then try to clear the jammed gun. That is because they carry it in their pocket, with their Big Red Chewing Gum and their crack pipe. By the time they shoot it(without ever having disassembled or cleaned it), it is so gummed up inside with pocket lint, Skittles residue, and every other item they have ever carried in that pocket ,that it won't work. If they had a wheel gun, it would work.

I hope no one tells them.

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  2. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

That's just not true. Wheel guns do fail. Springs break, hammers and triggers bind and break. Quite a few have been taken out by nothing more than pocket lint. And sometimes a primer just don't go pop.

Many autos are crap. The 1911 is not one of them. I have 2, one in .45 of course and the other a .380. Neither have failed after many thousands of rounds. One of them might one day. But probably not.

3. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

It is true, anything made by mortal man can break. But only revolvers I have ever heard of needing repair really old guns . It did not fail in action, they failed after 100 years of neglect. I had a friend who acquired a old SAA Colt that needed repair, but that gun was a hundred years old. And corroded.

But in all my years I have never heard of anyone who personally had a wheel gun fail. It is true you can have a misfire, but all you have to do is pull the trigger again and problem solved. Different story with a semi-auto.

I am a 1911 guy. I own two, both Colts. But semi autos require practice(which I do) and maintenance(which I also do). Revolvers made in the last 50 years that are keep reasonably rust free should work. Every time.

4. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

I personally saw a brand new from the factory, out of the box, never fired, Dan Wesson 357 that was out of time and wouldn't fire a lick. Firing pin would indent the shell casing off center from the primer. Rare, but it happens.

5. TwistyTorn

TwistyTorn New Member

Have both calibers, but the .357 gets out a lot more. Easy to shoot accurately and relatively cheap to load. Makes holes in beer cans, paper, and deer. :)

newduk and Luigi Daniele like this.
  6. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member

I carried a S&W Model 19, .357 for many years and it was reliable and accurate. The .357 is a good weapon for home defense and well as carrying around in the woods for protection in most instances. However, a few years ago I was making a trip to Alaska for a fishing trip into an area that was known to have a lot of bears in the area. I decided to purchase a weapon that would at least give me a chance if I had to use it. I ended up buying a S&W Model 629, .44 cal with a five inch barrel and heavy shroud like the one pictured in sdkidaho's post above. I bought 310 grain hammerhead rounds for it. I purchased a chest holster that I was able to carry the weapon just above my waders. Considering how fast a Grizzly or Brown Bear can run, and the accuracy of getting the shot placed while I was sh#@%ting in my pants, I decided to save the last round for myself if I ever found myself in the predicament. I have only fired 6 rounds through the weapon to date and that was the day I got the gun, which happened to be the day before I left for Alaska. I caught plenty of fish and walked through lots of bear scat while I was there, but never saw a
    bear on that trip. Here is a photo of my target. Six rounds in 3 seconds...but I am sure the bear would have already been on my by the time I got my second shot off.

IMG_0245.JPG

7. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Excellent choice....

8. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I aint crazy about either one, the 44 mag more so than the 357, just because i hate the recoil. 41 mags are awesome, and if you load you can get 41 special brass from Starline.

That being said, i like classic calibers. 32-20, 38-40, 44-40, and 45 Colt, all have made a lot of bad guys wish they hadn't got out of bed in the morning.

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I think if I were going into bear country, I’d get a Glock 10MM. It supposedly packs a heckuva punch.

Luigi Daniele and Bear like this.
  10. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Seriously knocking on the door of a .41 Magnum if I remember correctly.