4 year old lab

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by MJ1657, Apr 27, 2019.

1. MJ1657

MJ1657 Senior Refuge Member

I have a coworker that has a 4 year old chocokate lab Purebred with papers. He got her to breed with a male dog he had and she was never able to get pregnant. They want to change course and get a golden retreiver to be a house dog. He says she's real smart and fetches great but has never hunted her.

Do you think turning a dog this age into a hunting dog would be a big challenge. I would use her to retrieve ducks and geese over land and water.

Any opinions would be great .

2. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Each dog is an individual. There's no way of knowing whether it will be hard or easy until you do the training. Your dog doesn't know how old she is. Just start her like she was a puppy and take your time. Be patient and thorough.

EvanG

3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

That is encouraging to know, Evan. I have a 10 month old choc lab from great hunting and field test lines that I've done some obedience with but have not started formal retriever training because of a health issue (mine). I have the first of the Smartworks DVDs on the way and look forward to getting her started and hunting her this year. I am glad to hear that I did not ruin this dog by not getting started at an earlier age.

EvanG likes this.
  4. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

Over twenty-five years ago, I decided I wanted to begin duck hunting. A free, 4 year old Lab was
    advertised in the local newspaper. The magic word was "free". Just by coincidence I picked up a
    magazine at the local garage while getting an oil change. It was an HRC magazine and there was
    an important article on "hold". After about two weeks of "hold", we went hunting. :reader

I threw rocks to the area of the first fall. She swam out and retrieved every duck I shot. A few hunts
    later, I forgot to bring some rocks....so I faked the throws. Voila, she was handling. Training a duck
    dog is "simple". :h

note: It wasn't until later that I learned that the "faked throws" was called handling. :dv

P.S. There is more to this story. The original owner informed me that she routinely killed cats.
    We had a pet Siamese. So.....when Lick (that's what we called her) walked in the front door and
    spotted Sam our Siamese, I was all over her with a rolled up newspaper......and any time that she
    even looked at her. Suddenly our cat was invisible.....issue solved. Dog training is easy. :yes

The reality of the "killing cats" warning sunk home a bit later. As we were walking through a wooded
    area she spotted a possum that was moving and suddenly began to "play possum". Lick zoomed in
    and I saw the sudden shake of her head along with hearing the snap of a broken neck and the
    possum was no longer "playing possum". Sam was lucky he became invisible. :sp

So in answer to your question, Do you feel lucky? :l

Hoytman, Don Smith and Mr_Mallard like this.
  5. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

If I was the dog I'd be happy that someone was working with me and taking me hunting. No one took me hunting when I was young and I wish they would have.

Hoytman, EvanG and Doc E like this.
  6. FieldLabLover

FieldLabLover Elite Refuge Member

I would get her acquainted with some live birds

Doc E, Hoytman and EvanG like this.
  7. EvanG

10-4 on the live birds!

EvanG

8. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

Or even dead birds.

Where are you guys getting live birds?

9. EvanG

Game bird breeders, who also come to trials and tests to supply birds. Check with a nearby vet to find a good supplier in your area. Also check your retriever club.

EvanG

Hoytman and Doc E like this.
  10. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

For sure .