600 fps lethality

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Buffalo Howler, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

On DHC 600 fps is toted as a guide for judging steel shot killing ability. I do not agree with the use of smaller steel at range and want others here to speak there mind. I see he does not post in here.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Yes, it is

"smaller steel at range' :scratch:scratch What range?

We could see that also, if we knew who 'he' was. Does it matter that he does not post here. Are you trying to win an argument in an empty room?

3. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

most steel shot loads reach 600 fps at ranges farther than most guys would consider shooting ducks at. BB reaches 600 fps around 75 yards when launched at 1500 fps. 63 yards for 2's, and 54 yards for 4's.

45 yards looks to be about the max range for 1 1/4 oz 4's at 1450 fps that i would feel confident killing a bird clean. not that i could hit a duck that far out anyways.

4. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Personally I don't know if the figures these computer programs give are exactly correct. Most of the figures you see on the charts are generated by computer programs not real world chronographing...in the real world I honestly believe steel slows down much faster than the charts say. This is just from my observations in the field and killing ranges I have seen steel produce. From what I have observed large steel decelerates much faster than I believe the charts state...probably because of the larger surface area.
    60 yards even with T or F steel is about pushing the limits..even when you start out at 1600 fps...just my two cents.

5. Buffalo Howler

Buffalo Howler Senior Refuge Member

Ned. He get's my goat by keeping the small steel with speed is a killer at 50 plus yards. How does air density play into the equation?

6. BuffleheadKing2

BuffleheadKing2 Elite Refuge Member

Are these numbers those that you guys have found on the Internet or are they Internet numbers? Are these numbers taking into account constriction? What loads/weight are being used there are so many variables... Pic a load that looks good and shoot it a bunch pattern and practice... I am not an expert but if you find a load that works why switch around? If the info is from the net where did you gents find it?

Thanks

7. grnhd

grnhd Elite Refuge Member

That 600 fps thing is just a guide,dont get to worked up over it or Ned throwing it at you every time you turn around.I think its fairly accurate...to a point.I dont think 4's are worth a crap no matter how fast you make them go,and sure dont think they are good to 40 yds even though there is several on that board that think they are.To each his own I guess.

8. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

The numbers I posted were from a copy of the KPY shotshell ballistics software i bought a few months back.

9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Good observation..air density is just one of the factors that put most of these down range figures you get from the charts off. The charts are a good estimation guide for what type of load you want to use..but thats all.. an estimation guide.
    Air density, wind, temperature and other things play a role in what your actually getting at 50 yards. I think even a Cray Supercomputer would have an effort calculating all of these factors for a given load.
    Here's an example...When Winchester 571/ HS-7 was still on the market I used quite a bit of it. I had read that it lost a lot in colder weather...so I chronographed on of my favorite loads in 70 degree weather and saved my notes..1400 fps was my average result.
    Colder weather came and like the dedicated dingbat I am, set up the chrono when it was 28 degrees out..same load same gun etc...1290 fps on average was all it would do...I also tried two of my favorite STEEL powder loads the same cold day and Alliant is correct STEEL powder is not affected by colder weather velocites stayed consistant with my other readings.
    Temperature is just one of the factors that can throw downrange ballistics off...I use the charts for a guideline..then I use my observations in the field for deciding if a given load is right for my needs.

10. Dirt_Bag

Dirt_Bag Banned

I shoot #4 all the time...from 2 3/4 to 3" for ducks and it kills them dead. There is a big diff if your talking birds comming in or pass shooting though.

A bird at 40 yrds is not in range IMHO