Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

7mm WSM for Elk???

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by wkochevar, Nov 20, 2002.

1. wkochevar

wkochevar Senior Refuge Member

What are your opinions on the 7mm WSM as an elk gun? I believe Browning makes this gun with the BOSS sytem, would that be necessary for recoil and such?
    Thanks,
    Kip

2. weatherby

weatherby Moderator Moderator

i think it would be a great elk gun.as far as the boss goes, that's up to you. the 7mm doesn't kick that bad to use the ported boss, but it does work.i used to port everything, but i get tired of my ears ringin after every shot

3. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

If you are looking at a cartridge dedicated to Elk hunting, you might as well go with the 300WSM. You could still use it for deer.

4. wkochevar

If I didn't already have a 300 Win Mag, I agree with you, I'd go for the 300WSM, but I'm looking for an alternative caliber in the short magnum class that would be adequate for both large and medium sized big game.
    Kip

5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

You have great Elk medicine in the 300 Win Mag. Look at the 270WSM for deer, antelope and other medium size game.

6. Cariboo

Cariboo Elite Refuge Member

The performance of the 7mm WSM is almost identical to that of the 7mm Rem. Mag. The same relationship is true of the 300 WSM and the .300 Win Mag. Both of these rounds would qualify as good "All round" cartridges. The third round in this series, the .270 WSM would another round to take a good hard look at. In this case the new cartridge is a good bit hotter than the original, the .270 Win., and in fact actually is very close to the balistics of the .270 Weatherby round which is a good Elk cartridge.

As the marketing push behind the new WSM rounds is the ability of having 'magnum' performance out of lighter, short action rifles I would think that recoil would probably be slightly higher in these trimmer guns. As for the BOSS, each person would have to be honest with themself about how they tolerate recoil. If you can handle the recoil I would suggest sticking with the Browning or Winchester rifles and going with the CR option.

7. wkochevar

Well, here's the deal.....A friend of mine wants me to buy him an "Elk" gun. I said "OK, What do you want?". He say's" Oh, whatever you would want in a gun". See essentially, he will shoot this thing probably once or twice and I will end up with this gun. Tough, huh? I mean I get to pick the entire set up including the scope (he suggested maybe a Ziess). I already have a 300, and I don't really want a .338, so my thoughts were leaning towards the 7mm WSM. the only parameters to meet is that it is an adequate elk gun.
    Kip

8. Cariboo

Cariboo Elite Refuge Member

In that case MY choice would be a Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless in 7mm STW. :D

9. MT H2OFowl

MT H2OFowl Senior Refuge Member

Magnum this, magnum that, I would venture a bet that the 30-06 has killed more elk than any other caliber out there. Get the best piece of wood you can find. Remington or Winchester.:D

10. marshrat

marshrat Senior Refuge Member

Falcon, Colorado, USA, formerly Wisconsin and Mich
    I like MT H2OFowl's attitude! The marketing hype (which I am all for the American way and capitalism...I'm in pharmaceutical sales, myself) would have us believe that deer and elk are getting bigger and bigger all the time. I'm DOWNSIZING to a .243 Winchester for deer and a matching rifle in .30-06 for elk +. After seeing thousands of dead deer and a couple dozen dead elk with big exit holes in them, I just think we're hitting them with a LOT of gun! Just my opinion....