A decent Speck call for reasonable money?

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Fowler267, Aug 16, 2018.

1. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

I would recommend against the Sean Mann call. No where near the call the riceland is

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I concur. And would say the same of anything with the 1/2" guts most really inexpensive speck calls still come with. Narrow-gutted, essentially retuned predator calls were all we had when I began calling specks in the mid '80s and will dang sure still put them feet-down in the right hands. But they're a lot more back-pressure sensitive and, therefore, tougher to get a handle on than good representatives of the wider-gutted calls now available.

FWIW, though I have modified both toneboards a bit, I speck hunt with a hedge pre-Riceland James Meyers call and a micarta Riceland (with its insert turned down to match the James Meyers). But the call I carry daily in my pocket once the specks are down, just to mess with them and learn what I can is a poly Riceland.

Regardless of which good shop it comes from, the difference in 1/2" vs 5/8" gut performance is well worth the latter's premium.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    J.Bennett likes this.
  3. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

I plan to get a Redbone Poly, been patient hoping to get one a lil cheaper 2nd hand.
    Was able to get a Redbone Snow Buzzard Poly (new) for $50 shipped.

callinfowl likes this.
  4. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

I agree as well. Only reason I even mentioned it was because it's the only call that I've blown that is at or below the OP's price point and doesn't sound like someone trying to imitate a speck with a predator call. The riceland poly sounds awesome and has the range of a call that you'd expect to pay much more for. I haven't had my hands on the redbone poly yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a good value for the money as well.

Fowler267 and JuvieCoot like this.
  5. Rick Hall

I much preferred the original RNT polys (likely with Olt predator internal dimensions) they were all but giving away ($!0?) to my Sean Mann.

Different strokes...

6. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Straight Speck...

freefall likes this.
  7. DanL

DanL New Member

Flextone used to make one that BassPro sold for about $12. It blew easily and didn’t have the back pressure control issued others, like Haydel’s have. I haven’t seen them lately. If a guy has more than six or so, we might consider starting a 12-step program...

8. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

I've spent 60 yrs and a lot of money looking for the magic duck whislte [hiperosimus gun also]bite the bullet and get richland delrin or the redbone in speck calls my bride started with these for me and for once I'm not wanting another; maybe the acrlyc r better but I can't imm. how. ps learn the juvie moan its deadly on specks but adult snows seem to get real stupid at times when they hear it.dan l I'm way passed 12 steps with duck and goose calls ive got a reloading room walls full; every yr I say no more BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT I NEEDED THAT CUTDOWN ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR when does fed ex get here

DanL likes this.
  9. Rick Hall

I may be living under the only rock in Southwest Louisiana, but never heard of a "juvie moan". Can you offer a reference?

10. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

it is some kind of moan you boys down there probably know the real name. I saw a juvie speck land 4 flocks of snows in our spred and spent 2 yrs trying to get that sound. remember here in central Il. we haven't seen these beasts for very long. that's an old mans best way of describing it. wish I could find it on here as the time goes by so goes my memory of the sound. in our herd I'm the solo speck caller. [most all of it is during the cons. season can't shoot but fun to watch and often the do help bring in snows]