A different face of Gerrymandering

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by The Other David, Nov 7, 2018.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

If you follow just one news source, and listen select news outlets, you would hear a lot about Gerrymandering in NC, and how bad the Republicans are.

But it's just as bad on the other side. At least here in MD.

Well, today MD got a bit of comeuppance.

We (meaning not MD Democrats) have long realized that the state plays the same games with its district boundaries. And today a Federal Court told them to clean up their act.

I wonder if HuffPost will report this. Or ThinkProgress...

Federal judges in gerrymandering case toss Maryland’s congressional voting map

Federal judges in Maryland on Wednesday blocked the state from using its congressional voting map in future elections, ordering political leaders to draw new electoral lines for contests in 2020.

The three-judge panel unanimously threw out the congressional map in a long-running partisan gerrymandering case. The decision gives Maryland officials until March to submit a new redistricting plan.

The judges acknowledged the inherently political redistricting process but declared the boundaries unconstitutional and intentionally designed to target Republican voters in the 6th Congressional District because of their political affiliation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...?utm_term=.fbd24f7f638c&wpisrc=nl_buzz&wpmm=1

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  2. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Every congressional district is gerrymandered to at least some degree.

widgeon likes this.
  3. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Doing the same things here however many believe it's motivated by the Democrats in this county. Very strong Republican base here, think Trump carried 68% of the county I live in during the election, and the St Louis Democrats are trying their best to change things to tip the scales a bit more in their favor. Judging by the Mid Term results it ain't gonna happen and they need to figure something else out to get votes.

4. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Not saying its best, but... in CA districts are set by a "sort of" independent California Citizens Redistricting Commission. This is not perfect by any means, but does minimize the impact of some political favoritism.

5. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

I love the irony of an "independent" commission chosen by an individual or group that is clearly not "independent." :l

6. API

API PAF-CA Flyway Moderator Flyway Manager

Ironically, I was on the commission candidate list during the selection process. I removed myself from consideration after rethinking the amount of time commitment required.

7. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Yet...here you da man. :D

widgeon likes this.