A little guidance, please

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Debaglio, Jul 9, 2019.

1. Debaglio

Debaglio New Member

I have read back through the forums, and have tried to due my due diligence but am still requesting a bit of guidance. I am not asking for your honey hole or any specifics, more general information. My wife, son and I are planning our first trip to North Dakota for waterfowl primarily, and perhaps some upland game in November. We have done South Dakota for the last 5 or 6 years, but want to change it up.
    So as for the guidance, I am looking for any guidance any would care to share for general areas that you believe we would be successful. We can do either water or field as we have both setups. My preference is fields, but thats just me. Anyway, any info that anyone would be willing to provide would be greatly appreciated. Places to stay would also be helpful. Thanks in advance and if you ever need anything on Maryland, I will gladly give you everything I have. Thanks again, have a great evening.

2. Full Force Five

Full Force Five Elite Refuge Member

In November you might be totally froze out or covered in mallards and geese, each year is so different. Honestly finding a good place to stay is the hardest part. I'm not a pheasant hunter but my guess in somewhere south of 94 in more pheasant country.

3. Ratboy

Ratboy Senior Refuge Member

ND gun deer season starts on 11/8 and this will make getting permission more difficult for some properties. Just an FYI. We usually go the end of October and the weather is hit or miss. Could be 75-80 or 20 below as I have experienced both. As FFF stated, more pheasants in the southern part, but I do know of areas way north that have very good numbers too. Each year is different.

4. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

To be honest my first tip would have been to stay where you were. South Dakota's cap numbers give them a decided advantage on quality of hunt.

5. Debaglio

Debaglio New Member

I truly appreciate each of your responses. It has been helpful. I am not totally sold on coming to ND, but just trying to change it up a bit. Thanks again for your time.

6. Thinblueline

Thinblueline New Member

I’ve been going out to North Dakota on a fairly regular basis since 1999. North Dakota has lost a decent amount of pheasant habitat in recent years, and subsequently, pheasant numbers have fallen off quite a bit. Last year I went to South Dakota for a few days instead, and I saw more pheasants there.

As for the waterfowl hunting, the first few years I went were fantastic and pressure was relatively light. Now there is substantially more competition and pressure and with that, the hunting is not as good day to day as it was several years ago. You can still have good hunts if you put your scouting time in to find a hot spot, but it’s trickier to get on that hot spot than it was years ago.

This is just my experience. Others may have different points of view.

7. 27ducks

27ducks New Member

As most have said the weather will be the biggest factor in a November hunt in ND. I have been there in November and seen highs in 60's and also been in highs in the low 10's. Be prepared to hunt both water and fields. You should have opportunities at both. Seems like more land gets posted and less permission is granted now then when since my first yearly trip in 2011. Think this is mainly due to the fact that some groups don't respect the land, landowners, other hunting groups and the game we chase. And the land owners get feed up with it. So just be respectful. Ask for permission even if its not necessary, thank the landowners even on a "no" to hunting their property and most importantly clean up your spot (spent hulls, trash, and if you dig your blind in feel the hole back up). As far as location with you wanting to hunt upland and waterfowl I would say stay east of the Missouri River and south of HWY 200. You can look at the plot maps online to see where there are more land open to hunting. Depending on you dates I might can help with your housing. Good luck!

8. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Enjoy it while you can......ND is getting close to all land requiring permission to enter for any reason. ND is one of the few places that doesn't require permission if it's not posted. Sask was also one of the last. Permission will now be required for entering all private land up there for the first time. The vote in the ND legislature was basically the metro areas no and the out state yes this past session. ND has a legislature that meets every other year, so at least 2 more years the way it is.